Yankees Rivera On Contract Status: "I'm Not Upset."

Quote:
Source: Lower-Hudson Journal

By PETER ABRAHAM

TAMPA, Fla. - Mariano Rivera understands why the Yankees may wait until after the season to discuss a contract extension. But if he does get to free agency, the Yankees should not expect any special consideration.

"Everybody would have the same shot," Rivera said earlier today at Legends Field. "The Yankees would not have an advantage. Everybody would have a free shot."

The Yankees retain Rivera's rights for 15 days after the final game of the World Series and would try to reach an agreement during that time.

That was the route general manager Brian Cashman took with Mike Mussina last fall. By waiting to commit the money, the Yankees can ensure that Rivera is healthy and productive.

Rivera is now 37 and appeared in only four games last September because of an arm injury. Tests taken last fall were negative and Rivera said he feels strong. But there already are plans to limit Rivera to one inning per appearance.

Cashman called Rivera on Tuesday night to discuss the situation.

"I don't know what's going to happen. All I can tell you is that I'm going to focus on this year and at the end of the year we'll see what happens," Rivera said. "They made a decision, I don't have to make a decision. I'm fine, definitely. I'm fine. I have no worries at all. I'm not upset either. I want to make that clear."

It's fairly obvious that he's pissed. Again, lock him up now for another two years at whatever he wants.