Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves **
(First Viewing)

After escaping from a Dungeon after being captured by the Turks during the crusades, Robin, son of Lord Locksley and a warrior Moor named Azeem return to England only to find Robin's father has been murdered by the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham and has taken over his Father's lands. Unable to be helped by Maid Marian Dubois, sister of Robin's friend Peter who died trying to help Robin and Azeem escape. Robin vows to avenge his father and flees to the Forest of Sherwood, home to a band of outlaws who have been banished from their villages by the Sheriff of Notingham. Combining the forces of the outlaws, Robin and his merry men set out on a crusade against the Sheriff of Nottingham and defeat the Sheriff of Nottingham and his henchmen who bids to take over the throne of England's rightful ruler King Richard and put a end to the corruption that has infested the English countryside.

A very noticable cast but the movie wasn't up to par. I was wondering while watching the film why it has seemed to "slip through the cracks of time" and now I know why. The movie was entertaining (if not overlong), with again, a very noticable cast. However, I felt the whole Sheriff of Nottingham/Alan Rickman's mother is a witch scenario should have been SCRAPED from the picture. On a positive side, this was an enjoyable part from Christian Slater before he life spiraled out of control. Also, Alan Rickman and Michael Wincott easily were the most enjoyable as the Sheriff of Nottingham and Guy of Gisborne respectively. I'm becoming more of a Kevin Costner fan but I felt he didn't put forth 100% in this film. JFK he seemed to put forth the effort and even somewhat in The Untouchables but for me, in this picture, it was as if someone was forcing his hand the whole way through. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio did a great job as Maid Marian as did Michael McShane as Friar Tuck. Finally, it was great to see a cameo from Sir Sean Connery as King Richard, even if it was for only 2 lines of dialogue.