Originally Posted By: Irishman12
I hope so too and I think the Yankees want him back. The frustrating part is there is NO room for him, that's what makes this situation so unfortunate.

The problem is that there is room for Bernie, but the Yankees have two glaring issues. One, they refuse to even consider dumping Andy Phillips and Josh Phelps, both of which will be useless in comparison to the offensive production of Bernie, unless Phelps turns around and becomes the power hitter everyone expected a couple of years ago. But I wouldn't bet on it. Why not platoon Bernie at first base? He'd still be better than Giambi, and you've got Gold Glove Doug Alphabet to play everyday. Keep Bernie on the bench.

Another issue is that the Yankees feel the need to carry 12 pitchers, which is not surprising since we ride our bullpen hard, but we've got some crappy pitchers too. First thing I'd do? Get rid of Sean Henn and re-sign Ron Villone, please. He was a cornerstone of the bullpen. Then, dump Mike Myers. Seriously. He's not even valuable as a LOOGY, since Farnsworth and Proctor had better averages against lefties than he did...in fact, Myers did better against righties than he did against lefties. Pretty silly then to have a LOOGY who can't fulfill the whole point of his position. Get rid of him, you now have a roster spot for Bernie.

Seriously, if the Yankees wanted Bernie, they'd bring him back. Unfortunately, they seem to believe that his value is limited (he can't pinch run, doesn't seem to DH well, can't play outfield) in comparison to two journeymen first basemen and a LOOGY who can't pitch to left-handed batters...