Originally Posted By: klydon1
...it's colder than a witch's brass monkey.

For those who are curious as to the origin of the phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey," here is the surprising story:

A couple of hundred years ago, warships carried lots of cannon on their decks. Iron cannonballs were stacked, pyramid-like, next to each of them. To keep the cannonballs from rolling around on deck, they were placed on a large triangular brass plate called a "monkey". The plate had depressions in it so the balls would rest securely. However, in extreme cold weather, metal contracts. Brass shrinks a bit faster than iron, so after a while the indentations in the brass plate would become too small to hold the cannonballs and they would dislodge.

Hence the old sailors' expression.

I read this a couple of years ago on the website of singer/songwriter Amanda McBroom at http://www.amcbroom.com. She wrote Bette Midler's "The Rose" and her father was the late actor David Bruce (remembered for a few 1940s horror films). There are lots of fascinating bits of information on her site (look under "Gossip"), but unfortunately the "Brass Monkey" story is no longer there.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."