Yankees' Posada Focused On Season, Not Extension

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Jorge Posada is focused on the season as he heads into the final year of his contract with the New York Yankees.

Posada will make $12 million in 2007, the final season of a deal paying him $59 million over six years. The 35-year-old catcher says he’s leaving his contract situation up to his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

‘‘Obviously I have one more year left, and a lot can happen,’’ Posada said Monday after a pre-spring training workout. ‘‘We’ll see. It’s up to them. That will take care of itself. I’m concentrating on what I have to do.’’

Posada hit .277 last year with 23 homers and 93 RBIs, the best season at the plate for the four-time All-Star since 2003. Unless the sides agree to an extension, he will be eligible for free agency after the World Series.

‘‘To tell you the truth, if I keep feeling like I’m feeling right now, I’m going to keep playing,’’ Posada said. ‘‘If I don’t feel like that, it’s time to go.’’

Posada will be working with several new pitchers this season, including Kei Igawa.

‘‘He was very good in Japan, and I’m looking forward to catching him,’’ Posada said. ‘‘It’s going to be a good experience for me.’’

Posada expects Igawa’s transition to be eased by the presence of Hideki Matsui, who will be starting his fifth season with the Yankees.

‘‘I think Matsui is going to help him a big deal, ‘‘ Posada said. ‘‘Matsui had it tougher being here by himself. It’s going to be all right.’

I'm one of the hardest people on Jorge in my inner circle of Yankee fans, but its hard to keep bashing the guy when you look at what else is out there. He's still the best RBI hitting catcher in the league, even if he runs like a bag of donuts.

Plus, I'm glad to see he's giving Igawa the thumbs up.