The Wicker Man (1973) **
(First Viewing)

Sergeant Neil Howie arrives on a Scottish island looking for a missing teenager girl, Rowan Morrison. The place belongs to Lord Summerisle and is famous because of their plantation of apples and other fruits and their harvest. Sgt. Howie realizes that the locals are pagans, practicing old rituals, and Rowan is probably alive and being prepared to be sacrificed. The end of the story is a tragic surprise.

I really don't know which version of the film I like more, the 1973 or 2006 version. There are some elements of the old version that I like more, but then again there's some elements of the new version that I prefer. Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee did a great job with their respectful, butting heads characters. I like one main aspect of the film that I found superior in the 2006 version was the island was predominately female. I think it added more because Nicholas Cage intrudes onto their island (which is offensive enough to them), but the fact that he's a man I think adds a little more salt to the wound. Whereas the 1973 version, it was a prediminately male island which I didn't think worked as well.