Originally posted by plawrence:
... Sit Fredo down and explain to him that he better be damn careful going forward because if he ever screws up again he's dead...
Fredo was warned about taking sides AGAINST the Family in a very similar way to that after the confrontation with Moe Green. While Michael didn't specify that the next time he screwed up he'd be dead, I think the warning was sufficient. And even though it was several years later that he was approached by Johnny Ola, Fredo should've remembered this, instead of allowing his self-interests (something in it for him) to get in the way.

It was no longer a matter of 'keeping an eye' on Fredo. He had proven himself a risk to the Family one time too many.

Plawrence, I have to say that the 'family' scenario you suggest in a later post is quite ridiculous. I can't help wondering how you could presume to guess with either SB or I would say. But that aside.

As you say, "...Michael Corleone's life was bound by a moral code which is different than ours."

But so was Fredo's. He grew up and made a living in the same Family, the same business Michael did. And he made his choices knowing the consequenses if his brother ever got wise to him. And he suffered those consequenses, and Michael was COMPLETELY justified in ordering them.

Oh, and sure Fredo was still a loved brother & uncle. Didn't matter, nor should it have. The only family relation important to Michael was that of a 'loved son', which is why he waited until the death of their mother to have Fredo whacked. And he was right on both counts.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON