Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Originally Posted By: Ice

Not enough time to educate them and not enough time to make the move to the legit world of legalized gambling. That's what I think atleast. Vito would have hoped to have been completely legit if the day ever came(God forbid) that Mike had to take over the 'olive oil' end of the business. Thanks to Sonny's death, Mike DID have to take over, and the Don had not yet made his move to the legit world. 'There just wasn't enough time.'

I disagree. I don't believe that Vito ever thought the HE himslef would bring the family business over to the legitimate world. I believe that he had hoped that Michael would be the son to do this, but not himself.

His saying that "There just wasn't enough time" was, in my opinion, said in regards to his not having enough time to mentor Michael in the illegitimate end of the business because Vito never intended for Michael to have to handle the illegitimate end of the business :

MICHAEL : What's the matter? What's bothering you?
I'll handle it. I told you I can handle it, I'll handle it.

VITO CORLEONE : I knew that Santino was going to have to go through all this. But I never -- I never wanted this for you.

Which makes me believe that he was worried because he never intended for Michael to have to go through this and take over the illegitimate end of the business, because there wasn't enough time to teach him about the illegitimate end of the business.

Vito did not intend to bring himself along with Michael into the legitimate world. However I do believe that he had plans for Michael himself to someday bring the Corleone name into legitimacy.

But the not having enough time line was in reference to Michael's having to become the new Don of the Corleone criminal end of the business without the proper amount of time needed to be taught by Vito.

Don Cardi

Great points here, but compare this (sorry DC I am mixing the movies with the novel again) to what Michael says to Vincent when he passses the torch to him. Instead of saying there wasn't enough time, Michael says "Once you get in you can never get out."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."