Originally posted by Cristina's Way:
Here are some things I find interesting, though.
first of all, let me say that this is a very interesting topic, Cristina. I think women are given too little attention in the trilogy, mostly because the mafia enviromment itself was (and apparently still is) a men's thing and in this male oriented world women have basically nothing but a supporting role. Yet I think it would have been advisable to investigate more over men/women relationship: it would have added more depth to the characters and created more intriguing faceted psychologies. So, in my opinion, any occasion to discuss over this topic is highly welcomed. smile

Do you think Sonny really loved Lucy,
well, we really should know more about his relationship with Lucy to discuss this. However, if we are to speculate, I think Sonny must have loved her his own way. She possibly was a bit of a "second wife" to him. Which doesn't mean he hadn't other affairs, of course. Sonny embodies a very typical kind of Mediteranean man, especially of the former days. Strong, passionate, hot blooded, arrogant, violent, generous, exuberant. I'm not sure what he would have done with Vincent, even if I tend to believe he would have arranged things in order to have him somehow accepted in the family. But let's keep in mind that back in 50s/60s things were different from now. Having an illegitimate child was not an easy thing to cope with.

Now Fredo is another case.
Fredo is even more undecipherable IMO. He might as well have "two at one time" mistresses but I guess his behaviour was just meant to hide his inner lack of self confidence. He's so vulnerable inside. He just wants to let himself be considered equal to his brothers. So he tends to ham it up. Which will be, at least to a certain extent, his doom in the end.

Then there's Michael. ..... I think he would have made an ideal husband and father.
I agree. smile

. Why this inordinate desire that his next child be a son? If Michael weren't in the mafia, do you think it would have been as important to him?
Probably yes. You told it yourself. Michael was a 1950s man and obviously had some old-fashioned 1950s attitudes. Even though I guess any man, any time, secretly wishes his child to be a son... grin

And in GF3, why the emphasis on protecting Mary ("I would burn in hell to protect you") and controlling her romantic life? Does he consider daughters so fragile that they need chaperoning, that their honour is a reflection on the family? Or is he truly acting out of concern over her involvement with a crime boss like Vincent, knowing what Kay went through with him?
Michael wanted to protect Mary because he knew what she could risk. He lost his first wife because of him. His second wife was almost killed as well. His own mother suffered the loss of son.
It's a hard life to be a mafia woman! grin

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)