Originally Posted By: olivant
DC:

I've never read the ROE in Iraq, but I have read summaries of them. Nowhere have I found any words that state that one cannot fire on or actually invade a mosque. In fact, I remember from the news a Marine in 2005 that was investigated for killing an Iraqi inside of a mosque. Your info is anecdotal. Having served in Vietnam I know that ROE as stated is frequently departed from in the field. Those doing so are quite infrequently investigated let alone prosecuted.

US military command makes staregic and tactical decisions based on civilian political objectives which is the way it is supposed to be.

Olivant, with all due respect, it is a fact. I've been involved with Homes For Heroes which is an organization that raises money to build homes for returning vets who've been in the war. EVERYONE of them that I've spoken with have told us that they've been fired upon and attacked from terrorists hiding within the Mosques and they were ordered NOT to fire back at those Mosques.

My best friend's nephew ( who he raised like a son ) was in Iraq. He was part of the group that found and captured Saddam. When he came home, my friend threw a welcome home dinner for him. He told us stories about how restricted they are when it comes to returning fire on places like Mosques because they are deemed sacred. Yet the enemy has no qualms about firing upon them from inside that sacred Mosque.

It is also a fact that about 2 or 3 years ago Zarqawi took refuge inside of a Mosque and our military knew it and had the chance to go in and kill him, but they could not.

I believe that it has something to do with our not wanting to destroy what is sacred to the Iraqi people.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.