Oh, no doubt Olivant. I'm sure he was blaming Tom for the leak.
That's my whole point. I really think that Michael was just too tough on Tom in general.
You'd think that Michael would have seen Tom as more of a kindred spirit. In that, just as "there wasn't enough time" as Vito so eloquently put it, to "school" Michael, there wasn't enough time for Tom's education either.
In that, he never had the chance to work with and learn from Vito, during a wartime situation. During the "war years" of the early 30's, Tom was still in college.
Remember, according to the novel, he doesn't tell Vito that he wants to work for him until AFTER he passes the bar exam and marries Theresa. Which would probably be sometime in the late 30's, a relatively peaceful time for the Corleones.
Now many of us point out, and justifiably so, that Tom was not even Italian, let alone Sicilian. And never could have served as an effective "wartime" consigliere. But in fairness, he never got the necessary experience either.
Getting back to Michael. I think should have been more patient, even loving, with Tom.

Last edited by pizzaboy; 01/20/07 04:39 AM.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.