GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 717 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,962
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,668
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,489
Posts1,061,833
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #361959
02/07/07 10:51 PM
02/07/07 10:51 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Without giving too much away...season 2 (or day 2, as it were) takes place about a year...year and a half after season 1 (day 1) ends.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: XDCX] #362779
02/10/07 01:20 AM
02/10/07 01:20 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
Ah 24 rocks, got hooked on season 2 dvd's, been watching it since.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Longneck] #362804
02/10/07 09:18 AM
02/10/07 09:18 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Anyone catch this news story about how military and FBI officials have asked the producers of 24 to tone it down with the torture scenes because it's giving the United States a bad reputation, sending the wrong idea out about our methods of interrogation, and influencing military trainees to use torture?

Defense bigs ask '24'
to cool it on torture

BY OWEN MORITZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The grossly graphic torture scenes in Fox's highly rated series "24" are encouraging abuses in Iraq, a brigadier general and three top military and FBI interrogators claim.
The four flew to Los Angeles in November to meet with the staff of the show. They said it is hurting efforts to train recruits in effective interrogation techniques and is damaging the image of the U.S. around the world, according The New Yorker.

"I'd like them to stop," Army Brig. Gen. Patrick Finnegan, dean of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, told the magazine.

Finnegan and others told the show's creative team that the torture depicted in "24" never works in real life, and by airing such scenes, they're encouraging military personnel to act illegally.

"People watch the shows, and then walk into the interrogation booths and do the same things they've just seen," said Tony Lagouranis, who was a U.S. Army interrogator in Iraq and attended the meeting.

"The kids see it, and say, 'If torture is wrong, what about '24'?" Finnegan said.

The show's co-creator and executive director, Joel Surnow, 52, a self-described "right-wing nut," seemed stunned by the complaints, but gave no hint that the torture scenes would be toned down - or shown not to work. "We've had all of these torture experts come by recently, and they say, 'You don't realize how many people are affected by this. Be careful,'" Surnow conceded. "But I don't believe that."

Kiefer Sutherland, who is reportedly paid $10 million a year to play agent Jack Bauer, admits to being "anti-torture" and "leaning toward the left." He says he tries to tell people the show "is just entertainment."

Joe Navarro, an FBI interrogation expert who was at the meeting, said he wouldn't want anyone like Bauer on his team. "Only a psychopath can torture and be unaffected," he said. "You don't want people like that in your organization. They are untrustworthy, and tend to have grotesque other problems."

Bauer, as a counterterrorism agent, has just 24 hours to stop a terrorist plot endangering the U.S. and invariably chooses torture to force suspects to divulge critical secrets.

Originally published on February 10, 2007

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Don Cardi] #362864
02/10/07 01:29 PM
02/10/07 01:29 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I read something about that a couple days ago. I also heard that FOX took A LOT of flack for the "explosive ending" of episode 4 this season. Some gov't big wigs have been on the producers' backs since the beginning. At first...it was because they felt that it cast a bad image on Arab-Americans, it scared American's into thinking that the things that happen on the show could happen at any minute, and that terrorists actually WATCH 24...and get ideas from it.

Now that last one has me baffled.

As stated in the article you posted...Kiefer Sutherland (who plays Jack Bauer...for the 3 people in the world who don't know ) has stated that he's against torture. But again...like he said...it's television. People watch TV, read books, and play video games so they can escape from the real-world for a little while. Some of the things that happen on the show are truly frightening, but that's one of the things that makes it so compelling. Feeling afraid...but knowing that you're completely safe. That's why people love horror movies.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from Hilary Clinton or Joe Lieberman on this issue.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: XDCX] #362899
02/10/07 04:05 PM
02/10/07 04:05 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: XDCX
But again...like he said...it's television. People watch TV, read books, and play video games so they can escape from the real-world for a little while. Some of the things that happen on the show are truly frightening, but that's one of the things that makes it so compelling. Feeling afraid...but knowing that you're completely safe. That's why people love horror movies.

I agree. It IS television, it IS entertainment, get over it people. Quite your whining so others who enjoy it can continue to your enjoyment without your censorship!

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #362932
02/10/07 04:54 PM
02/10/07 04:54 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
SPOILERS **** SPOILERS **** SPOILERS **** SPOILERS

I always found it funny that the governement and the Arab leaders condemned the show because they claimed that it discriminated against the Arabs showing them a terrorists!

Menawhile there is never any mention about the Arab characters who work for CTU and have helped the American people in the show.

NOTE: DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU ARE NOT CAUAGHT UP TO THIS SEASON'S EPISODES!

And as far as the writers only showing Arabs as terrorists, that's a bunch of bullshit too because we've been shown a terrorst attack carried out by Russian terrorists and another attack carried out by white supremist type americans. And Victor Drazen (Dennis Hopper) wasn't an Arab! He was a serb. Heck, last years whole storyline was based around a crooked American President who was in cahoots with an american consortium that was behind the terrorist attacks period.

So the accusations made by the Arab leaders, that "24" is an anti Arab show, is pure bullshit.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Don Cardi] #364199
02/14/07 10:16 AM
02/14/07 10:16 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Ok, I've just finished watching season 2. I'm addicted. Season one was a little better, BUT especially the last few episodes in two, kept me on the edge of my seat.

You guys snowed in, it's a good time to rent 24 if you haven't already seen it. I love it!!!!!

I have a long weekend, and hope to rent season 3. A friend of mine has 4/5, and I will borrow those. I guess I'll just see six when it's on video and will never have to wait each week to see what happens.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #364210
02/14/07 12:22 PM
02/14/07 12:22 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I'm glad you enjoyed season 2, TIS! I knew once you started watching...you wouldn't be able to stop. It's happened to me and everyone else I know who loves this show!

FOR THOSE WHO'VE NOT YET SEEN SEASON 2, SPOILER ALERT!!

Season 2 is a shocking (and great) season for many reasons. Seeing Jack at the beginning, with a scruffy beard and flannel jacket was rather jarring. He definitely looked like a man who lost everything. What wasn't so shocking was finding out out he no longer worked for CTU.

Jack murdering that federal witness when he arrives back at CTU, and then asking for a hacksaw was classic. The exchange between Jack and George Mason was classic, as well:

(after Jack shoots the witness)

George Mason: Are you OUT of your MIND?

Jack Bauer: That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results, but you never want to get your hands dirty.

In fact, George Mason alone is the main reason seasons 1 & 2 are my favorites. Xander Berkley was absolutely fantastic as George, and his final scene with Jack in Season 2 was heartbreaking. It's a shame he was killed off so early on in the series.

And there was also the conspiracy of the NSA smuggling a nuclear warhead onto U.S. soil and giving it to terrorists, the shocking scene where we find out that it was in fact Marie Warner who was linking Warner Industries to the terrorists, and not Reza Naiyeer. Talk about a curve ball!

The two biggest shocks of them all were the nuclear bomb actually exploding on U.S. soil (albeit in the desert), and President Palmer's cabinet invoking Section 4 of the 25th Amendment, effectively unseating him as Commander-in-Chief.

Oh! I almost forgot the fact that Jack Bauer actually dies at one point during the season. That Jack Bauer sure is a bad-ass. After suffering cardiac arrest, he still ends up killing all the terrorists. He later suffers a heart-attack, but still manages to save the day.

And then there's the ending...where that woman shakes the hand of President Palmer, and he collapses. Is he alive? Is he dead? You'll just have to wait and see, TIS!

Speaking of that woman...didn't she seem familiar to you, TIS?

END SEASON 2 SPOILERS

I know you'll enjoy Season 3, TIS!

Also, can I make a suggestion to everyone visiting this thread? There's another show on FOX that I enjoy thoroughly (maybe even as much as 24) called House. I know EVERYONE has heard of it, but so far I know of only a few people on these boards that watch it.

It's an absolutely incredible show, and I whole-heartedly recommend it to EVERYBODY! I started watching it about half way through season 2, and I immediately went out and bought the first season on DVD. I've been hooked ever since. I've never been a huge fan of medical dramas, but this one is vastly different, and vastly superior to any other medical drama on television (yes, better than ER, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, et. al.)

Hugh Laurie is fantastic as Dr. Gregory House. He's one of the biggest pricks you'll ever see on television, but you can't help but love him!

I whole-heartedly recommend it to everyone. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed!

Ok, we can go back to discussing 24, now!

Last edited by XDCX; 02/14/07 12:23 PM.

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: XDCX] #364226
02/14/07 01:57 PM
02/14/07 01:57 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

END SEASON 2 SPOILERS

And then there's the ending...where that woman shakes the hand of President Palmer, and he collapses. Is he alive? Is he dead? You'll just have to wait and see, TIS!

Speaking of that woman...didn't she seem familiar to you, TIS?

Remember what I said to you TIS about characters appearing in one or two eisodes early in one season and the all of a sudden popping up in the middle or near the end of another season?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Don Cardi] #364460
02/14/07 10:15 PM
02/14/07 10:15 PM
California

California
*POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN SEASON TWO*

Thanks for the input XCDC/DC. I kept staring at the woman who shook the President's hand and kept trying to place her. She wasn't the woman who jumped out of the plane in the first or second episode was she?

And yes, the "surprises" in this show is amazing. I'll say one thing, the only person I think I can trust is Jack Bauer. Tony seems to be on the "up and up", but at first I wondered about him, and of course that could change back again. And...the President's wife, Cheri. OMG!!! I don't trust that broad as far as I can throw. I say kick her to the curb. Marie being in on the bomb plot surprised me. Her sister seems ok at this point. And I was surprised to see Nina show up again.

Speaking of guest stars, I wasn't sure what to make of Kevin Dillon. He was kind of creepy!!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #364472
02/14/07 11:16 PM
02/14/07 11:16 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
*POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN SEASON TWO*

Thanks for the input XCDC/DC. I kept staring at the woman who shook the President's hand and kept trying to place her. She wasn't the woman who jumped out of the plane in the first or second episode was she?

Bingo!

Quote:
And...the President's wife, Cheri. OMG!!! I don't trust that broad as far as I can throw. I say kick her to the curb.

Sherri is indeed a piece of work. There were times where I wanted to jump through the TV and wrap my hands around her throat! I was glad when Jack put her in her place, though. She tried to buck up on him, and he set her straight, as only Jack Bauer can do.

Quote:
And I was surprised to see Nina show up again.

You'll see quite a few familiar faces as you get deeper into the series. As DC said, remember some of the characters you only see for a brief amount of time. There may be more to them than you think.

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: XDCX] #364481
02/14/07 11:57 PM
02/14/07 11:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Hugh Laurie is fantastic as Dr. Gregory House. He's one of the biggest pricks you'll ever see on television, but you can't help but love him!

That's the main reason I've been turned off to the show (plus I don't like medical drams). I never got into Scrubs, ER, Grey's Anatomy, etc. But this guy just seems like such a HUGE pr*ck, I wouldn't waste my time watching him cut down people while they're about to go into surgery or about to die. F*CK YOU, YOU INCONSIDERATE A$$HOLE!

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #364482
02/15/07 12:02 AM
02/15/07 12:02 AM
your sisters bedroom
manicmontana Offline
BANNED
manicmontana  Offline
BANNED
your sisters bedroom
i prefer prison break over all those shows haha

So say goodnight to the bad guy..eh cause its the last time your ever gonna see a bad guy like this again let me tell you/O.K!! im reloaded!!You motherfuckers think your big time!!!Your gonna die big time!!!O.K Here come the pain!!!
Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #364512
02/15/07 01:24 AM
02/15/07 01:24 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally Posted By: Irishman12
That's the main reason I've been turned off to the show (plus I don't like medical drams). I never got into Scrubs, ER, Grey's Anatomy, etc. But this guy just seems like such a HUGE pr*ck, I wouldn't waste my time watching him cut down people while they're about to go into surgery or about to die. F*CK YOU, YOU INCONSIDERATE A$$HOLE!

Don't be so quick to dismiss it based on House's personality, Irish. There's much more to the show than him just being a prick.

I had the same mentality before I started watching it, but my opinion soon changed. The guy is a genius, who just happens to be brutally honest with his patients. And a lot of the patients actually have it coming, anyway!

I think you should rent it, Irish. If you don't like it, hey, different strokes for different folks, right? But you've nothing to lose. Give it a go man. I think you'll enjoy it!

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: XDCX] #364514
02/15/07 01:29 AM
02/15/07 01:29 AM
your sisters bedroom
manicmontana Offline
BANNED
manicmontana  Offline
BANNED
your sisters bedroom
hugh laurie looks like a pug

So say goodnight to the bad guy..eh cause its the last time your ever gonna see a bad guy like this again let me tell you/O.K!! im reloaded!!You motherfuckers think your big time!!!Your gonna die big time!!!O.K Here come the pain!!!
Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: manicmontana] #364531
02/15/07 02:02 AM
02/15/07 02:02 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I can't wait for The Shield to get going again. You ever watch that XDCX? That's my favorite show on TV. It should be starting up again in April

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #365089
02/15/07 11:31 PM
02/15/07 11:31 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I've caught an episode here and there, and I think its a superb show. It's just hard for me to remember when it comes on, because there's really nothing else on F/X I watch. All my favorite shows are either on HBO or the big 4 (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS), so I tend to forget about F/X.

I've been considering picking up the seasons on DVD, but I've been putting it off.

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: XDCX] #365098
02/16/07 12:46 AM
02/16/07 12:46 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I've been considering picking up the seasons on DVD, but I've been putting it off.

You shouldn't. Whenever you get the chance, I HIGHLY recommend seeing it ASAP!

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #365145
02/16/07 09:46 AM
02/16/07 09:46 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I watched the first two seasons of The Shield. Excellent show.

I'll never forget the ending of the very first episode. I sat there with my mouth open.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #365176
02/16/07 11:43 AM
02/16/07 11:43 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally Posted By: Irishman12
You shouldn't. Whenever you get the chance, I HIGHLY recommend seeing it ASAP!

I've been looking on eBay. They've got a few good prices on the individual seasons, but I'd prefer getting all of them together...as it tends to be cheaper that way (most of the time).

My girlfriend bought me the first 5 seasons of The Sopranos off eBay for around $75 or $80 bucks. The only downside to that was the fact that they didn't come in the original packaging. They do come in boxes that are modeled after the ones you see in the store, but they kind of open like a book, and the discs are in little slip cases. But the discs were all there, they were (I'm assuming) the REAL DVDs, and they worked perfectly, so I have no complaints.

I'll be sure to check The Shield out, Irish, even if I have to rent the seasons.

But as highly as you recommend The Shield...I give you that same recommendation for House. I'm almost positive you won't be disappointed.

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: XDCX] #365346
02/17/07 12:15 AM
02/17/07 12:15 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
But as highly as you recommend The Shield...I give you that same recommendation for House. I'm almost positive you won't be disappointed.

I honestly won't be able to do much with it before the summer, but if the mood strikes me, I'll give it a shot and let you know (same goes for you)

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Don Cardi] #365929
02/18/07 05:25 PM
02/18/07 05:25 PM
California

California
I'm slowly catching up!! I just finished watching Season 3!! Although I still find the first season the best, the 2nd & 3rd are also excellent. I continue to be totally wrapped up in each fast paced story, and the element of surpise gets me all the time.

All I can say is, the writers of this show are outstanding thus far.

I had to rent 3 so I had only five days to watch it. However, a friend of mine owns seasons 4 & 5 and gave them to me, so I can take my time watching them. I'm taking a little break but will definitely complete all the seasons soon. I haven't been this jazzed about a tv show since the Sopranos.

TIS

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #365944
02/18/07 06:56 PM
02/18/07 06:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

All I can say is, the writers of this show are outstanding thus far.

I haven't been this jazzed about a tv show since the Sopranos.

TIS

Don Cardi never steers you wrong.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Don Cardi] #366427
02/19/07 10:29 AM
02/19/07 10:29 AM
California

California
As I said, I have seasons 4 & 5 sitting on my table. I am been so wrapped up in the series, I'm taking a little break, since I can watch the others without having to hurry to return them back to the video store. It's to the point where my daughters call and I jokingly answer and say "tsk tsk tsk, I'm watching 24, I'll call you back."

Yet, I've spent the last couple weeks with Jack Bauer...I kind of miss the gang! It is a rainy day and I am off work today (are you guys off as well? ), so maybe I'll watch one or two episodes.

TIS

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #366429
02/19/07 10:33 AM
02/19/07 10:33 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

It is a rainy day and I am off work today (are you guys off as well? ), so maybe I'll watch one or two episodes.

TIS

Which will lead to three, four or five!

It's addicting!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Don Cardi] #366573
02/19/07 04:30 PM
02/19/07 04:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Man TIS, you're really putting that 24 away It is an addicting show and this is the first season I've seen on TV. I used to wait for the DVDs to come out in December, so I could watch 4-5 in one sitting rather than waiting week after week. My sell to XDCX can apply to you as well, if you've never seen The Shield on FX, I would HIGHLY suggest that (I like it more than 24 AND The Sopranos)

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #366930
02/20/07 03:52 AM
02/20/07 03:52 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
SEASON 6 SPOILERS

So President Logan is back. Man oh man. At first I didn't recognize him but then finally when they panned back I almost craped my pants. This is getting VERY interesting. Also, does anyone else watch the previews for the following week? I ALWAYS do and I have a friend who never does and always tries to change the channel (I hate him for that). But it looks like they're going to try to blow up President Palmer at the podium during his speech. Which ever way it works, next week's episode looks to be GREAT!

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Irishman12] #366974
02/20/07 10:11 AM
02/20/07 10:11 AM
California

California
I12,

I have heard that The Shield is really good. Like 24, I couldn't even tell you when it's on. I'll try to check it out, but right now I'm too wrapped up in 24.

I just started Season 4 and like Season One, so far, it's captured my interest, with the edge of your seat action.

TIS

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #368375
02/23/07 12:22 PM
02/23/07 12:22 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Found an interesting article in USA today and thought that some of the "24" fans here may like to read it.

'24' actor gets full-bore into torture scene
By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

24's Morris O'Brian was traumatized after being power-drilled, but it's old hat for the actor who plays him, Carlo Rota.
"I've played so many variations of bad people. I always end up torturing or being tortured or meeting some kind of sticky demise." says Rota, whose roles have ranged from illegal procurer (La Femme Nikita) to Mafia heavy (The Boondock Saints).

The London-born son of Italian immigrants, who describes himself as a Canadian actor, took center stage last week when Morris, a computer whiz, got the Black & Decker treatment from nuclear terrorists. After torture that included an attempted drowning, O'Brian gave in, activating a device used to arm nuclear bombs.

Rota's playing of the scene — grisly even by the standards of 24 (Fox, tonight, 9 ET/PT) — made the shoulder drilling more difficult to watch. "As an actor, I couldn't go halfway," he says. His goal was to play it as "the most antagonizing pain you've ever experienced."

Rota, 45, drove from Canada to Los Angeles a year ago without an agent or a job, but he knew 24 co-creator Joel Surnow from Nikita. A two-episode gig last season as the ex-husband of Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) stalwart Chloe O'Brian (Mary Lynn Rajskub) has grown substantially this season. His Morris has a gruff, sharp-tongued nature that seemingly can be tamed only by Chloe, who has also had difficulty playing with others.

"She holds the ultimate power over him. A lot of people have actually called me Mr. Chloe," says Rota, who says he has far more in common with Morris than with the thugs he has played.

Aside from plot demands, Rota says, it was imperative for Morris to give in to his torturers' demands. "He's not a field operative. He's a computer guy. Suppose people were beating you to a pulp. Do you come up with a pithy comment?" he says.

"If he hadn't have caved, he would be setting himself up to be the super-individual he's not."

Rota, who plays a Lebanese contractor in the Canadian TV comedy Little Mosque on the Prairie, disagrees with critics, including some military officials, who say 24's torture sequences have distorted the views of the public and some soldiers regarding what should be forbidden practices.

"I think it's an interesting point to bring up, but at the end of the day, (24) is a fantasy. I would be quite surprised if a person wakes up in the morning and decides he knows how to torture people because he's just seen 24," he says.

(Last week, executive producer Howard Gordon told The Philadelphia Inquirer that 24 will cut back on torture scenes later this season for creative reasons, not in response to critics. Fox and 24 would not comment on the criticism.)

As things get worse for Morris, the role gets juicier for Rota.

"It becomes increasingly hard for him to deal with what he's done. Cracks will appear," Rota says. "Unfortunately, the sun does not come up for Morris for a while."

=====================================================

That was a very tough scene to watch. You could almost feel the pain that he was having when they drilled him!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: It's Back! "24" [Re: Don Cardi] #368376
02/23/07 12:52 PM
02/23/07 12:52 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

The London-born son of Italian immigrants, who describes himself as a Canadian actor,

Now there's a guy with an identity crisis.

Actually, from the article he sounds like a pretty interesting guy.

After the first season my wife convinced me to watch the season on DVD; she had watched from the beginning. I enjoyed it and watched several episodes each night. I started the second season, but missed some episodes and didn't want to watch again until I caught up again, which hasn't happened yet.

I watched the second episode of this season, and liked it, but again, monday nights don't work well for me, so I'll have to watch them eventually on DVD. I'll get there, I guess.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull