Originally Posted By: Irishman12
I agree DJ that the Yanks should go after Santana hard but again, ultimately it's up to Minnesota. They could put together a winning team this year and be playoff contenders, especially if Francisco Liriano comes back healthy.

For the Twins to be effective, they need Liriano to avoid a sophomore slump (and return to the team completely rehabilitated), which may plague him as AL batters now have seen him for most of last year. Torii Hunter needs to come up big, maybe even beating his personal-best 31 HR's last year. Can Morneau keep his AL MVP title? Can Mauer return as a Silver Slugger?

Even though Santana has been loyal to them in the past, I don't think he's got that Torii Hunter type loyalty where he'd be willing to stick around if they fall into the basement. I personally don't think their bats will repeat this year, and even if Liriano returns to 2006 form, the Twins will be hard pressed to get into the playoffs in their now ultra-competitive division, competing with the White Sox, the Tigers (who may also slump), and the Indians, who are a chic pick to make a big improvement this year.

However, if Liriano does return to form, it could pay off for the Yankees in 2008, because the Twins would be more open to unloading Santana's salary before he becomes an FA. Liriano will be there to pick up the slack.

So on one hand, it may be good if the Twins falter, but on the other, maybe keep your fingers crossed that Liriano comes back from injury.

Originally Posted By: Irishman12
In the meantime, I wouldn't wait around on hearing from Minnesota. I'd go after Clemens because again, trading Johnson left a BIG hole in the rotation (and as I've said numberous times before, I don't feel confident in Igawa or Pavano filling the spot).

Pettitte however should fill that spot. While I'm not blind to his age and flaws, at this point, I have more faith in Pettitte's elbow than I do in Johnson's back (and waning stuff). I personally think Igawa will make a decent starter...winning the Japanese Cy Young and being a perennial strikeout leader over in the land of the rising sun has to mean something. Pavano...well, even if he's supercalifragilisticexpealidocius in Spring Training, he may be moved for a power-hitting first baseman with strong defense (Mark Texiera?), or more pitching prospects. The Yankees have too many good, young arms in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to leave the cap on any longer, and I expect either Sanchez, Rasner, and Hughes to make a contribution somewhere down the stretch.