Originally Posted By: klydon1
Was that the year Andy Hawkins (I think he was the guy) pitched a no-hitter and lost the game?

I was just a little tyke at the time, but from what I understand, yes, Hawkins has the strange honor of losing while pitching a no-hitter. And Sammy Sosa scored what would end up being the winning run...

And from what I've read, he lost the no-hitter stat as well, since the Yanks were visiting and the White Sox didn't hit in the bottom of the 9th.

Originally Posted By: klydon1
By the way, I always found that the most misspelled Yankee name of that generation belongs to Graig Nettles, who was commonly and erroneously called "Craig" during his career.

A-Rod couldn't even spell his name correctly, and he worked with him to get him ready to play third base when he came to the Yanks in the Soriano trade. I'm pretty sure this isn't apocryphal, because I remember it in the news when it happened, but my cursory link search didn't yield any solid results; A-Rod sent an autographed ball/photo to Nettles, with something like "Thank you Greg for all your help."