Igawa's First Pitch in Big Apple
Quote:
Source: AP

NEW YORK -- Kei Igawa pulled on his new pinstripes, stepped to the podium and threw his first changeup in the United States.

His long hair freshly trimmed in accordance with team rules, the Japanese pitcher stood before a packed room at Yankee Stadium on Monday and explained -- in English -- how thrilled he was to reach the big leagues.

"Today, my lifelong dream became a reality: to be a major league baseball player," Igawa said, reading carefully from a prepared statement. "I will give you my best as a Yankee. I will do my best to win the championship for this great city, New York."

All set to trade Randy Johnson to Arizona, the Yankees introduced one of his potential replacements during a formal news conference attended by about 75 Japanese reporters.

Igawa, 27, agreed to a $20 million, five-year contract with New York last month after the club bid $26,000,194 for his negotiating rights. The left-hander spent eight strong seasons with the Hanshin Tigers, going 14-9 with a 2.97 ERA and 194 strikeouts last year.

"We look for him to come in and solidify the back of the rotation," General Manager Brian Cashman said. "I think the fact that he took the time today to learn a bit of English -- I think that was just a small indicator of the work ethic that he possesses as he tries to transition over here."

Igawa, who will wear No. 29, practiced his speech for two days. But he said he was comfortable trimming his trademark long locks to comply with Yankees rules, just as center fielder Johnny Damon did last offseason after leaving the rival Red Sox.