Vito Corleone's last words as he died in his beloved garden. This scene as well as many others in the novel show us how much the Michael we see in the films was NOT his father's son -- or at least he did not turn out to be a man like his father.

In the famous speech to the commission Don Corleone tells the group that eventually they would become the new pezzanovante in America, and that their children and grandchildren would be puling all the strings. Often in the book Michael tells Kay and others how he wants his children to pursue whatever they like (he even says he hopes one of his children becomes a musician!) Once he has consolidated his power and moved to Vegas, there was no further need for Michael to continue with his nefarious ways. The family had all the money they needed to go legitimate, and he did not need to be negotiating with the likes of Hyman roth to get a foothold in Cuba. IMO Michael went seriously off the tracks in GFII, and by GFIII he would be the last person on earth to utter those lovely last words his father had spoken.

Last edited by dontomasso; 01/08/07 05:07 PM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."