Yesterday, one of my daughter's oldest friends and her little sister were hit by a car walking home from the library. They are both in the hospital. I believe that the man who hit them was drunk, as the mother found out today that he is still in police custody.

My daughter's friend is in very bad shape. She has a tube in her head to relieve pressure on her brain, and they don't know if she's sustained brain damage. She has two tubes down her throat, and I believe one is doing her breathing for her. They thought they would have to amputate her leg below the knee because it was mangled and blue, but the orthopedic surgeon was able to straighten and reconnect the bones and the blood flow resumed. She's had plastic surgery because her forehead was flapping in the breeze. She's been moved to a hospital in NYC for now, and they don't know how long she'll be in a coma.

Her little sister fared better, and they said it's because my daughter's friend instinctively shielded her. She also had to have surgery to repair a broken leg, and she is so traumatized that she's unable to speak, but she'll be okay.

Please pray for her. Her mother is an escapee from an abusive husband, who has never financially supported the girls. She's a wonderful mom, and I don't know how she's dealing with this. When we saw her at the hospital today, she was holding up so well, until the two of us went into the lounge, and she totally lost it.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club