Originally Posted By: Irishman12
DJ, I read today that the Yanks could use some of these young arms to perhaps sway Minnesota to trade Johan Santana (I believe he's going to be a free agent at the end of the 2008 season and will command a BIG contract that Minnesota won't be able to give him). At least this way they can get some young talent and the Yanks can get an AL Cy Young winner. Think that would be a smart move?

I would do that deal in a heartbeat, and I'd rather see it done than I would watch them sign Roger Clemens. But I highly doubt that the Twins would let their mealticket leave without some serious cost, if they'd let him leave at all. Unless Liriano proves he is not injury prone, then I would suspect the Twins would hold onto Santana for dear life, as they should. It would have to be his decision. By winning the Cy Young award this past year, Santana's full no-trade clause kicks in, so even if the Twins wanted to deal him, he'd have to want to come to the Yankees.

Again, I think it could happen, as his salary is fairly hefty for the Twins (it's end heavy, so he makes $12 million this year and $13.25 next year), and there are performance incentives, which make him even more expensive. If I were the Yankees, I would make a deal for Santana in a heartbeat. He's by far and away the best pitcher in the AL, and he's only 27. Think of the damage the following rotation could do if it all plays out correctly for 2008:

Code:
Name         Age    Throws  

Wang          26        R
Santana       27        L
Hughes        21        R
Sanchez       24        R
White         26        R

Now, granted, this is very right-heavy. It also ignores Kei Igawa's potential, as well as whether Carl Pavano pulls his head out of his ass.

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Anywho... we just signed 1B Mientkiewicz for a year to allow Giambi to DH fulltime.

See my previous posts for my thoughts on Mienty-fresh. Even if he is one of the best defensive 1B's in the game, I can't see the Yankees not make a move for Texiera down the road this year. Mienty-fresh has zero power, and although he walks and has some command of the strike zone and patience at the plate, he'll be an easy out in the 9th spot.

Although the Yankees have been blessed by having great hitters in the 8th/9th spot over the past couple of years. Robinson Cano anyone?

BTW - Happy B-Day!

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I read this morning that this trade leaves no room for Bernie.

It depends on how many pitchers the Yankees will carry this year. I have no clue why they are going to keep Phelps or Phillips on the bench when they still have Giambi to spell Mienty-fresh occasionally. I mean, Giambi is bad, but not THAT bad. They're going to waste a roster spot in order to keep a first-baseman backup-backup. It would make more sense if they simply keep Miguel Cairo, as a utility infielder, who could play first base in a pinch.

Keeping Bernie should be a PRIORITY. He was by far and away the Yankees best clutch hitter last year. Nobody else hit better with two outs. He can still play, despite what a number of sports pundits and (surprisingly) many Yankee fans I speak with think. Even if he can't be an everyday outfielder anymore, his bat alone makes him a superior bench player, and I'd rather see them DH Bernie or play him at first.

This is how it will look in 2007:
Depth Chart
Code:
C:     Posada, Chavez
1B:    Mientkievich
2B     Cano
3B:    Rodriguez
SS:    Jeter
LF:    Matsui
CF:    Damon
RF:    Abreu
DH:    Giambi
BNCH:  Cairo (?), Phelps/Phillips, Cabrera
SP:    Wang, Mussina, Pettitte, Pavano, Igawa
RP:    Rivera, Proctor, Myers, Farnsworth, Vizcaino, Britton, Bruney

The Yankees should carry 12 or 13 fielders, if I were in control:

Depth Chart
Code:
C:     Posada, Nieves
1B:    Mientkievich
2B     Cano
3B:    Rodriguez
SS:    Jeter
LF:    Matsui
CF:    Damon
RF:    Abreu
DH:    Giambi
BNCH:  Cairo (?), Cabrera, Williams
SP:    Wang, Mussina, Pettitte, Igawa, Pavano
RP:    Rivera, Proctor, Myers, Villone, Farnsworth, Vizcaino, Britton OR X-Lefty

The problem is that the bullpen is clearly right-heavy, with Myers being the ONLY left-handed reliever. Villone has supposedly been talking with the Yankees, but he declined arbitration, simply because the FA market was so sweet for pitchers this offseason. However, I hope Cashman brings him back.

This means however, the Yankees would carry 13 pitchers in their bullpen, unless they cut Bruney (or someone else). There literally is no room for Bernie, unless he somehow can play utility infield, and they keep him rather than Cabrera.

Unfortunately, I suspect, unless the Yankees acquire two decent lefty arms for their BP, Bernie is the odd-man out.

The biggest problem with Bernie is that he's consistently proven to be a poor pinch hitter when brought off the bench.

Regards,
Double-J