Originally Posted By: goombah
Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Originally Posted By: goombah
Ohio State beat UT when the latter was ranked #2. OSU beat Michigan when the latter was ranked #2. OSU won their conference and went undefeated - that's why they're playing for the title. I'm not sure where you were going with that comment.

I'm not debating Ohio State's qualification, I'm debating's UT's shot at the title last year. You said Notre Dsame beat no one of significance this year and I say UT beat no one of significance this last year except Ohio State. I know Ohio State beat UT and Michigan. As far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't even have to play Florida but should of had the trophy just presented to them.

I wish they would hand OSU the trophy without playing Florida! I think the game will be much closer than some of the experts are predicting.

You are quarreling with the BCS system with Texas from last year. I don't disagree with you at all that the system is faulty. But that's where there will continue to be a problem using the BCS - if a big school like Texas goes undefeated (as they did last year), they're pretty much a lock to have a shot at the title. The Boise State's of the world are on the outside looking in until a playoff is used.

USC really screwed themselves by losing to UCLA this year. It can be argued that, if there were a playoff, they'd have a terrific shot of winning it all this year. It's similar to an NFL team getting hot going into the playoffs. IMO, USC would have given Ohio State a better game than Florida. By the same token, OSU was really hot last year heading into the bowl game. I think they could have beaten Texas in a BCS title game rematch because Troy Smith had really blossomed at that point.

The NCAA is really making no sense in continuing the BCS debacle. Cut out 1 regular season game, have a playoff and make the fans happy. There still will be tons of revenue for the colleges & universities to make if the system changes.

Klydon - I can't disagree with anything you've said. I would just add that, most likely (not guaranteed0, next year would be a bit of a down year for ND since they are losing Quinn. I think it would be an injustice if they were in a BCS game with 3 or 4 losses, just based on the fact of their popularity and name recognition.

I agree. This year I think LSU and USC would give OSU a better game than Florida, which is still a pretty darn good team. I think OSU last year would have been stiff competition for Texas. This year, I think nobody could expect to beat OSU.

With three or four losses, I don't think there could be any justifiable argument to get them in. Popularity can only go so far.

By the way if the first round of New Year's bowl games were the play-offs, what a story Boise State would be. Kind of like George Mason in the basketball tourney.