Don Cardi, with the generous praise you have given my posts, you are sure to make me develop a big crush on you [Linked Image]. (But tell your wife not to worry. I am content to admire you from afar wink .)

Only here is anything I've ever written been called brilliant. Gotta love The Godfather -- it's doing wonders for my self-esteem cool .

Now to the topic at hand: I think the key to the depth of a scene is that there is so much more going on than what appears on the surface. Both the first Godfather and Godfather Part II are brilliant in that regard because many scenes appear to be about business or strategy, but look deeper and you'll see that they reveal so much more, such as tension between the characters or a psychological insight into a character.

When Connie approaches Michael about her and Merle's marriage plans in GF2, the scene is not just about Connie asking for money for her honeymoon trip. It's about Michael exerting control; it shows how, ironically, the more enmeshed in mob life he is, the more moralistic and judgmental he has become; it shows his subtle manipulations in the way he ignores Merle and talks about him as if he's not even in the room. Likewise, when Michael comes to Las Vegas in GF1, his attempt to buy out Moe Green is less about Michael and Moe than it is about Michael and Fredo. Just look at how Fredo is made to feel so inadequate and out of the loop in that scene.

I agree with Don Cardi that Godfather Part II has the edge with this kind of depth because of its more complex plot machinations. Also, the characters have been established in GF1 and we've come to know them. GF2 is then free to develop more complexities and explore their interrelationships; and this it does very effectively, especially with Michael and Fredo.

There are so many good examples of nuances that only come to the surface with repeated viewings. You can really study the Godfather like Shakespeare, it's so rich (well, maybe not GF3, but definitely GF1 and 2). Now I must pause to catch my breath and read the excellent insights others have surely posted (and will post) in this topic. cool