Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Originally Posted By: Double-J
And I still say trading Randy Johnson for Vizcaino et al is a bad move. The only way this works is if they use these prospects to get someone like Texiera. Otherwise, we're going to be overloaded in AAA with young arms (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), and be missing a quality starter who has won us 17 games two years in a row.

I couldn't agree with you more than right here DJ! The ONLY way I'd part with Unit is if Clemens coming back would be a lock (which it ISN'T!). My friend keeps saying we've got Wang, Moose, Pettitte, Igawa and Pavano. Since Zito signed with San Fran and if the Yanks can't sign Clemens, they just left a BIG hole open in the rotation that Igawa and Pavano CAN'T feel. I'm worried about this and futhermore, I don't wanna see Unit go.

As you know, I've been against bringing Clemens back ever since his screwjob of the Yankees in 2004. Even if Johnson has not been sparkling in the postseason for the Yankees, his 17-win and 33 GS average warrants me, if I were GM in NY right now, to keep him as at least my third or fourth starter. With Johnson gone, we've lost those 17-wins, and a large number of starts.

I'm not really worried about the Yankees front three (Wang, Mussina, and Pettitte). It's the backend that's the concern. I believe Igawa should do fine in New York, but it isn't a sure-fire thing (neither is Matsuzaka, for that matter). And Pavano? Unless he lights it up in spring training - and even if he does - I still think he'll be trade fodder, along with these other prospect we've been acquiring, in a deal for either an elite, power-hitting first baseman or a better-than-good starting pitcher.