Abreu's contract is up after 2007 (with a $16 million dollar club option for 2008) so his tenure is also tenuous. I really wish the Yanks would stop screwing around...I know they want to keep Bernie, but he cannot be the everyday utility outfielder anymore. He doesn't have the speed. Melky, on the other hand, makes a great option to play 2-3 games a week, allowing the Yanks to spell either Damon or Matsui.

Bernie has always had a superior glove - I'd rather see them resign him now, and get to work training him at first base, rather than trading away Melky to free up a roster spot for Bernie. It doesn't make good long-term sense. The Yanks bullpen isn't that desperate. Farnsworth didn't have a terrible year last year, and is streaky with on-off years. Last year was an off year - expect big things out of him in 2007. Proctor has solidified himself as the big middle relief man, one of the best in the AL. If Bruney and Britton can combine for some solid innings, they resign Villone, utilize Myers more, and bring up J. Brent Cox and Jose Veras, the Yankees bullpen will be fine.

I understand that Mike Gonzalez is a closer-quality pitcher, but I don't see how adding him to the bullpen at the cost of losing arguably our best fielding outfielder makes the team that much stronger.