In discussion of the whole assassination attempt on Vito, it is so often said that the cause of this is, inherently, Sonny's outburst during the meeting. Although I admit to my adoration of Sonny Corleone, I must say that, although this may have been a factor, I don't believe it to be a large one; or even very significant for that matter. Given that Sonny keeps his mouth shut during the meeting, can anyone honestly say that Sollozo would've just walked away with his tail between his legs??? I believe we all know the Virgil Sollozo character a little too well for that assessment. So, to all who take this stand on Sonny's meeting interjection, please enlighten me with your rationale for this, as I'm totally bewildered. Let's not blame everything on the "hot-headed scapegoat"

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)