SB, I gave this a lot of thought. I still disagree with you. I think although we might call the destination different names, and be on different routes, but we all can be led to the same thing. In this way of thinking, different cultures and religions can live peacefully together. I also believe there is not a single true way to reach the destination. I think there are as many ways as the number of human beings for worshiping/celebrating and reaching out to what we feel we've lost and we all are in search for it. My faith, that I confess has not always been in a firm state, is based on the destination, not on a specific route. It is based on worshiping what we all tend to call God although we might have different perceptions of him. But of course, although I voice my disagreement with your way of thinking, I respect your views.

SC, OMG! Okay, I'll celebrate with you. Sounds like fun.

DC, I celebrate the birth of Messiah, the miracle of God, the sign of God on earth and the promised savior. I can and I do. I don't care what you think about the meaning of my celebration, or if you approve of it or if you don't, since I don't think a holiday belongs to any specific person or group and all can have their own share of it.

As for your other question, we don't exchange gifts on any religious holiday. On Fetr, we help poor by donating some gifts, but nothing is being exchanged in the family. In Iran, the secular holiday of New Year is being observed exactly on the moment of beginning of spring, and in that holiday youngsters receive gifts from the elders of the family.

Klydon,

I agree with you. Even the most secular forms of celebration of Christmas have its share of good will.

As for how Christians celebrate in Iran, some have mixed Eastern and Western traditions, but for the most part here is how it goes:

They keep "Little Fast" from eating animal products, beginning on December 1st. Then they break the fast on Christmas day (Jan 6), by usually a dinner of chicken or turkey. Exchanging gifts are not customary, but some have adapted this tradition from West. Children receive new cloths and families and friends pay each other visits. Lately you see people dressed as "Papa Noel" (Father Christmas) and decorated pine trees, but these all has been adapted from Christians of Western culture. Christians in Iran call this celebration "Eida Sura" or small holiday. "Eida Gura" or big holiday is referred to Easter and they keep the "Big Fast" before that holiday.

As for Muslims, a dinner with family and a commemoration of birth of Messiah is usually observed.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones