Everyone is ignoring Kei Igawa (as evident by the fact that nobody is spelling his name correctly ). However, I am very excited about this Japanese left-hander. "Iron Nerves" as he's called doesn't have to be a barn-burning left-hander strikeout king for the Yankees - Chien Ming-Wang proved that last year - he has to simply be reliable and consistent. Igawa has been consistently in the top of the Japanese league in strikeouts, and won the Sawamura.

Strange thing is, I think its been a bit of poo-poo on Igawa after the monster Daisuke Matsuzaka (phantom) deal in Boston. When the Yankees were supposedly in the running for Matusaka as the lead bidder, Matsuzaka was either a.) not going to translate well to the MLB game b.) had pitched too many innings in Japan and was going to break down and/or c.) will not be able to adapt to the New York environment.

Yet, now that Boston won the bidding race, he's the best free agent available, instantly will save the franchise, and should be their #1 starter to dominate the ranks of the AL.

What horseshit.

I'm not denying Matsuzaka as a pitcher, because I too think he will be great (as my older posts have indicated). But please, let's get all of these closet Boston fans to put their hypocritical tongues back in.

When the Yankees won the bids for Igawa, all I hear is how he's a mediocre pitcher who will fail in the American baseball system (much like Matsuzaka's characterizations when the Yankees were in the lead), and "anonymous" league coaches and scouts decry Igawa as an overrated has-been.

How about a cup of shut-the-fuck-up?

Both of these guys have done well in their native country, but they are BOTH still question marks. If Boston fails to sign Matsuzaka, not only will they be the laughingstock of major league baseball, but they will also potentially lose Matsuzaka to another team (the Yankees?). It appears that their purse strings might not have been as open as they indicated. Cry me a river.

Plus, Igawa got the seal of approval from Hideki Matsui. That's good enough for me.

---

Don't sign Zito. Thank God they didn't sign Lilly, talking about getting robbed. The Cubs paid rape money to Lilly for a starter who is barely over .500 lifetime (59-58 record isn't exactly worthy of $40 million...no?). Zito is going to get even more than that for whomever signs him.

And I haven't liked Zito since his early-season bashing against the Yankees last year. He gets by with his location rather than his speed, and it can hurt if he isn't spot-on (ala Randy Johnson in 2005/6). If they could sign him for a reasonable amount ($20 million over 4 years?) I could see that. But not with the monster cash someone is going to shell out.

---
The Yankees pitching staff got exactly what it needed in Andy Pettitte. Sure, he's on the decline, and didn't have a good 2006 in comparison to previous years. But Pettitte is consistent, knows how to pitch in New York, is a superb playoff pitcher, and will provide the locker-room with a boost as well. A bit of the old guard. He's not going to be the same Andy Pettitte from the World Series years; I'm not expecting him to be, and no one else should be either. However, he should fill the end of the rotation in the Jon Lieber-reliable-starter-who-gets-outs type 4th man. That's what they need.

The Yankees rotation should shape up fine. Chien Ming-Wang will be the ace. Moose will be a solid #2 man. Johnson and Pettitte can duke it out for the middle of the rotation, but Johnson's ego may force him into the #3 slot. Pavano? He's a non-factor as far as I'm concerned. I'd dump him for prospects if I could. But I think he can battle Igawa for the #5 spot.

This is great for the farm system, because it keeps Jeff Karstens and, more significantly, Phil Hughes from being brought up to full-time MLB action before they are ready. Karstens did a great job as the emergency starter last time, but he needs more development time. Hughes needs action at the AAA-level. The Yankees now have a number of *decent* pitchers who can hopefully hold their own. And if (more appropriately, when?) the dinosaurs like Johnson go down, we've got a couple of options.

And watch Hughes during Spring Training this year - he was great last year. He will be great in a couple of years.

---

For the first-base situation, I'd love to see Richie Sexson come to the Yankees, but the Mariners aren't that stupid (at least, I don't think they are...). I remember when Sexson was punting monster shots out of my local Dunn Tire Park/Pilot Field AAA stadium when he played for the Indians farm club, the Buffalo Bisons. He's a good-fielding first baseman. And if Cashman can do the dirty deed and shop Pavano and cash for Sexson, I'd strike while the iron is hot.

Josh Phelps is like a free token. The Rule 5 draft gives the Yankees someone to compete with Andy Phillips during spring training, and he costs virtually nothing. But it should be noted that Phelps blows at fielding, and they could probably get a cardboard stand-up of Don Mattingly that would field better at 1B than either Giambi or Phelps. Phillips has shown proficiency at fielding (as he was originally a middle infielder) so he can play either first-base or the hot corner. If he could work with Donnie Baseball and improve his hitting consistency, then the job should be his.

Or, here's a radical thought.

Bernie Williams should be brought back again. Why not move him to first base? Sure, he doesn't have a strong arm, but its plenty for the infield. And he's a Gold Glove outfielder. This is the time when they could start getting him ready, unlike the trial-by-fire they gave Sheffield (although I come from the utility school of baseball, where I feel any player should be able to come in a play at an acceptable level at ANY position except for pitching). Bernie wants to come back. Let him complete his career in pinstripes at first-base. It isn't a knock on Williams - he knows he can't compete with guys like Damon, Abreu, and Cabrera with their fresh legs. Move him to first, and we've got at least a solid glove there until we can find a way to snare Pujols away from the Cardinals ( ).

Hooray! I'm back for five minutes.

Regards,
Double-J