I read an article in my local paper the other day about a Catholic church that is selling buttons that say "Don't be afraid to wish me a Merry Christmas". I was wondering what the feeling here was regarding this sentiment.

Some people quoted in the article were offended by the buttons and felt that they were exclusionary. Others were relieved, because sometimes people feel that they don't know what to say, and don't want to offend anyone.

In a way, I can understand both viewpoints. I think that "Christmas" has become a gift-giving frenzy instead of the celebration of the birth of Christ (for those that believe). A friend of mine said the other day that she "loves" to "celebrate" Christmas. However, she's Jewish. I told her that she loves to celebrate decorations and trees and exchanging presents, but that she does not celebrate Christmas. At first, she was offended, but then she agreed with me. I told her it was akin to my "celebrating" Passover because I like to sit down with those that I love and eat a big meal.

Has Christmas evolved from a Holy Day for believers in Christ to something else? I'd be curious to know what you folks think.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club