My heart says no, but my head says yes.

Like klydon1, I cheered for him in '98. I cheered for Sammy Sosa too. They actually made me interested in baseball again.

But with the allegations that followed, the Senate hearings and everything else, you felt cheated as a fan. Was everything you cheered so hard for a farce?

But no, he hasn't been officially caught. There is a substantial amount of evidence that says otherwise, but no drug test has proven he has taken steroids (probably because they didn't have one back then ).

Character issues? Where do we exactly draw the line? We have cheaters (Gaylord Perry - spitballer) and racists (Ty Cobb) in the Hall now, why shouldn't we include a weasel who essentially hid behind the 5th amendment?

If I had to choose a side, I'd vote to let him in (but it really pains me). He's received his punishment - in the court of public opinion, there will always be an asterisk to his name:

* Cheater - Probably took steroids

It will probably diminish the Hall in some sense, but baseball is reaping what they sowed. They chose to ignore the steroid issue for such a long time and now it is caught between a rock and a steroid-induced hard place.

Last edited by Don Sicilia; 11/29/06 05:04 PM.