GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, m2w, Ciment, 1 invisible), 497 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,974
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TITANIC #345937
11/26/06 09:00 PM
11/26/06 09:00 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
I'm currently watching this god-aweful piece of garbage on tv because, since I've succeeded in getting my daughter quite interested in the sinking she's naturally curious about this movie. While the technical feats of the film when it sticks to the facts will be enjoyable to see...I have to constantly remind my child that this stupid Jack/Rose love story is complete fiction, fabricated solely for entertainment (as was that idiotic 'Heart of the Ocean necklace'.

Poor Jack Dawson has already managed to get himself into trouble with the evil, 'rich' fiance by saving Rose from her ridiculous suicide attempt.

One thing that IS interesting to note is that one of the wealthy gentlemen passengers is played by the actor who was cast as lookout Frederick Fleet in the far superior 'A Night To Remember'. He is much more well known however, as 'Dr. Bombay' from the tv series, 'Bewitched'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: TITANIC [Re: AppleOnYa] #345947
11/26/06 09:04 PM
11/26/06 09:04 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

My daughters think it's hilarious that right after she promises Jack that she'll never let go, Rose SHOVES him into the water to save herself. It is fairly amusing the way she pulls her hand free.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #345955
11/26/06 09:15 PM
11/26/06 09:15 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
A disastrous movie!!!

Because God forbid fictional fabrications "for the sake of entertainment"!!! God forbid historical inaccuracies in Cinema!!!

An end to the sarcasm, then:

Art has no obligation to teach via historical accuracy. In fact, I'd prefer it if it didn't. Watch a documentary, a document, of the event, not a fictionalisation. Or even better, and less lazy, might be to read a textbook.

I love Titanic because of its lavish production design, its visual seduction when I saw it on the big screen, and it is often very tense - I remember the scenes of Winslet in the water-filled corridors vividly. And I haven't seen it in years, so if lingering imagery counts for anything, I must say the film's quite the masterpiece.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: TITANIC [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #345958
11/26/06 09:20 PM
11/26/06 09:20 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
A disastrous movie!!!

Because God forbid fictional fabrications "for the sake of entertainment"!!! God forbid historical inaccuracies in Cinema!!!

An end to the sarcasm, then:

Art has no obligation to teach via historical accuracy. In fact, I'd prefer it if it didn't. Watch a documentary, a document, of the event, not a fictionalisation. Or even better, and less lazy, might be to read a textbook.

I love Titanic because of its lavish production design, its visual seduction when I saw it on the big screen, and it is often very tense - I remember the scenes of Winslet in the water-filled corridors vividly. And I haven't seen it in years, so if lingering imagery counts for anything, I must say the film's quite the masterpiece.

I look at "TITANIC" in the same manner that you do; purely entertainment. And I also happen to like it.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #345959
11/26/06 09:21 PM
11/26/06 09:21 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
James Cameron's TITANIC isn't a bad film, its just a 3 hour $200+ million runaway budget chick flick that so totally didn't deserve to win all those Oscars. Besides, only the foolish people would think the love story is factual, right?

The Technical scope presented by Cameron is outstanding. The insane accurate touches to detail, in regards to the entire subject field relegated to the Titanic sinking, on the sets is certainly worth watching for as well.

A great scene is a CGI simulation in the first Act that basically shows the entire sinking within 20 seconds as such, presented as a video game without regards to the hundreds that horribly died. Think about it!

While I'm trying to half-way defend it, I just remembered that it beat the great masterpiece that is L.A. CONFIDENTIAL for Best Picture.

Yeah, fuck TITANIC.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 11/26/06 09:32 PM.
Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #345966
11/26/06 09:38 PM
11/26/06 09:38 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
The movie was ok but a scene toward the end of the movie really pissed me off.

Spoiler alert
The scene where this chick is getting into a life raft and she has the nerve to say "is this the 1st class raft?"

You are at the point of death and this was her concern? That just pissed me off to no end

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: TITANIC [Re: Mignon] #345968
11/26/06 09:42 PM
11/26/06 09:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Mignon
The movie was ok but a scene toward the end of the movie really pissed me off.

Spoiler alert
The scene where this chick is getting into a life raft and she has the nerve to say "is this the 1st class raft?"

You are at the point of death and this was her concern? That just pissed me off to no end

But in truth that was the way it was back in those days on cruise ships. Those who were from money were treated like royalty and those who were not were treated like shit. I could see one of those rich bitches making a statement like that when it actually happened in real life.

The part of the movie that always gets me is the scene where the ship is starting to sink and they show the mother, who obviously knows that the end is near, lying in bed with her children, trying to comfort them and pretending that they are just going to sleep. That scene just breaks my heart.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: TITANIC [Re: Don Cardi] #345970
11/26/06 09:54 PM
11/26/06 09:54 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
But in truth that was the way it was back in those days on cruise ships. Those who were from money were treated like royalty and those who were not were treated like shit. I could see one of those rich bitches making a statement like that when it actually happened in real life.

The part of the movie that always gets me is the scene where the ship is starting to sink and they show the mother, who obviously knows that the end is near, lying in bed with her children, trying to comfort them and pretending that they are just going to sleep. That scene just breaks my heart.

Don Cardi

I know you are right Cardi but that just ticked me off. I'm glad I am not that type of person.

The scene you are talking about with the mother and her children broke my heart also.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: TITANIC [Re: Mignon] #345973
11/26/06 09:59 PM
11/26/06 09:59 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
A little trivia for you. The actress that played the mother that you're talking about has been used in various James Cameron films. She was John's foster mother in Terminator 2 and Garcia (I think that was her name) in Aliens. Looks different, doesn't she?

Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #345974
11/26/06 10:03 PM
11/26/06 10:03 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
My daughters think it's hilarious that right after she promises Jack that she'll never let go, Rose SHOVES him into the water to save herself. It is fairly amusing the way she pulls her hand free.

First of all, I think the idea of a 'SPOILER ALERT' on a 9yr old movie that practically everyone on earth has seen is a bit ridiculous.

Second, while my opinion of the movie remains the same...in defense of that scene she does attempt to revive him for quite a few seconds before accepting that he is dead. And she breaks free because she knows she's got to get to the whistle in that dead officer's mouth and use it before that quickly departing lifeboat is too far away to save even her.

It's called the survival instinct and I wonder how many of us would continue to clutch Jack's frozen, dead hand in that situation.

What's more fairly amusing but also a bit absurd (as is most of their story) is how Rose TWICE foregoes opportunities to board a lifeboat in order to return to and save her beloved Jack.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: TITANIC [Re: AppleOnYa] #345976
11/26/06 10:11 PM
11/26/06 10:11 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
First of all, I think the idea of a 'SPOILER ALERT' on a 9yr old movie that practically everyone on earth has seen is a bit ridiculous.
Fuck that. I can't even begin to justify why spoilers aren't necessary because of age and/or a film's popularity. Perhaps on other grounds, but not those.

I'd genuinely like to hear your counter-thoughts on my first post in this thread.

Re: TITANIC [Re: AppleOnYa] #345977
11/26/06 10:14 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Gee, Apple, is it difficult to watch a movie and type a post, all the time you're so high on your horse??

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was being polite to anyone who hadn't seen the damned thing. Maybe they don't want to know that Jack ends up dead at the end of the movie.

And is there any reason that you decided that you desperately needed to piss on my daughter's interpretation of the a scene that she finds funny??? Why don't you go back to YOUR daughter and tell her how completely unpure the film is because it actually has scenes in it that aren't true?!

Re: TITANIC [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #345978
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
...Art has no obligation to teach via historical accuracy...

You are correct.

It doesn't make Jack & Rose's story any less of a piece of obscene bullshit than it is.

Now the ship has just struck the iceberg and here we go, back to that stupid story where the fiancee' and his butler attempt to frame poor, sweet Jack by dropping the necklace into his pocket.

Evil, mean rich people...they're all bad, bad, BAD!!!!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: TITANIC [Re: AppleOnYa] #345979
11/26/06 10:18 PM
11/26/06 10:18 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

You just can't help yourself, huh?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: TITANIC [Re: AppleOnYa] #345980
11/26/06 10:26 PM
11/26/06 10:26 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
...Art has no obligation to teach via historical accuracy...

You are correct.

It doesn't make Jack & Rose's story any less of a piece of obscene bullshit than it is.

Now the ship has just struck the iceberg and here we go, back to that stupid story where the fiancee' and his butler attempt to frame poor, sweet Jack by dropping the necklace into his pocket.

Evil, mean rich people...they're all bad, bad, BAD!!!!

Apple
Okay, fair enough; but why relate that to how the film might portray the actual event that happened in history, and then go on to say A Night to Remember is better?

What are you trying to sell, here? That Titanic contains a shitty romance, or that A Night to Remember is historically more accurate? Feel free to try and sell both, of course, but I don't see how the two relate.

Re: TITANIC [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #345982
11/26/06 10:31 PM
11/26/06 10:31 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Do you also feel that way about "Pearl Harbor"?

I happen to enjoy "Pearl Harbor" for the same reasons. A good entertaining story revolving around real life history.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #345983
11/26/06 10:32 PM
11/26/06 10:32 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
...is it difficult to watch a movie and type a post, all the time you're so high on your horse??

You seem to be fond of that 'high horse' phrase. You've used it in the past. Takes one to know one.

...I was being polite to anyone who hadn't seen the damned thing...

Be as polite as you want, If I were reading a thread about a 1997 film that became world famous and won several Academy Awards including best picture...I would neither expect nor deserve the courtesy of a spoiler alert.

But please...don't tell anybody that the ship sinks. THAT would spoil EVERTHING!

...Why don't you go back to YOUR daughter and tell her how completely unpure the film is because it actually has scenes in it that aren't true?!

Already have. I'm telling it to her periodically even as we watch the movie.

She's already seen 'A Night To Remember' with me and knows my feelings of the comparison between the two.

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 11/26/06 10:33 PM.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: TITANIC [Re: AppleOnYa] #345984
11/26/06 10:37 PM
11/26/06 10:37 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The boat sinks????!!!!!

Happy now?? You've entirely ruined the film for me.

Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #345986
11/26/06 10:42 PM
11/26/06 10:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
The boat sinks????!!!!!

Happy now?? You've entirely ruined the film for me.

Which One? The Titanic or The USS Arizona?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: TITANIC [Re: Don Cardi] #345989
11/26/06 10:49 PM
11/26/06 10:49 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
DC, Please, stop!! You're ruining Pearl Harbor for me now, and I haven't seen it yet!!

Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #345990
11/26/06 10:53 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
DC, Please, stop!! You're ruining Pearl Harbor for me now, and I haven't seen it yet!!

Sorry.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Pearl harbor is attacked by the Japenese and the USS Arizona sinks.

Is that better?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: TITANIC [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #345992
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
...why relate that to how the film might portray the actual event that happened in history, and then go on to say A Night to Remember is better?

Because A Night to Remember is better.

...What are you trying to sell, here? That Titanic contains a shitty romance, or that A Night to Remember is historically more accurate? ?

To be honest, Titanic IS historically accurate EXCEPT for the shitty romance...the sad part (for me anyway) is that the shitty romance is really what dominates the film; the ship and disaster merely serving as a backdrop to the insipid Jack & Rose story.

... I don't see how the two relate.

The two 'relate' because both films feature the Titanic disaster. And while one is technically superior because current-day film technology, a substantially fatter budget and the advantage of having located the real ship some 10 years earlier...the other, simpler, black & white version with no big names paid far more attention to the details of the tragedy itself, because it was based on a book that was written predominantly via eyewitness accounts of survivors themselves.

Now Capo...I know you're far too intelligent to suggest I should not be stating my preference of one film over the other. So I'll assume you are simply trying to generate discussion, which is admirable.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: TITANIC [Re: Don Cardi] #345994
11/26/06 10:54 PM
11/26/06 10:54 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

DC, with the way history seems to be re-written on these boards you might want to add "According to the movie" the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor lol

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: TITANIC [Re: Don Cardi] #345995
11/26/06 10:56 PM
11/26/06 10:56 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Capo I am not going to argue against your opinion because I basically agree with you that art has no obligation to exactly portray historical facts. However I differ with you on a subjective aspect. The movie Titanic was a total piece of crap, with no merits whatsoever. OK, you know that is not true, there was that suit she wore during the painting scene. The movie was worth watching at least for that

Re: TITANIC [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #345997
11/26/06 11:00 PM
11/26/06 11:00 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone
DC, with the way history seems to be re-written on these boards you might want to add "According to the movie" the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor lol

You ever see "Pearl Harbor" DMC?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: TITANIC [Re: Don Cardi] #346000
11/26/06 11:03 PM
11/26/06 11:03 PM

Never saw it, didn't see Titanic either

Re: TITANIC [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #346003
11/26/06 11:05 PM
11/26/06 11:05 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, then I hope you paid attention to the Spoiler Alerts, DMC.

Re: TITANIC [Re: Sicilian Babe] #346005
11/26/06 11:10 PM
11/26/06 11:10 PM

Well, then I hope you paid attention to the Spoiler Alerts, DMC.

I did, and I thank you for not ruining the movie for me, it is on my netflix though, I hope to watch it soon. I should stay out of this topic though so I don't accidentally ruin it for myself

Re: TITANIC [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #346011
11/26/06 11:33 PM
11/26/06 11:33 PM
The House Of Blue Leaves
Nice Guy Eddie Offline
Underboss
Nice Guy Eddie  Offline
Underboss
The House Of Blue Leaves
HAHAHAHAHA.........I remember when Titanic came out my ex went to see it with some friends and came home crying. She said it was so sad that she never wanted to see it again. I was freaking thrilled because I wouldnt ever have to watch that crap fest.

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.

Get Hannitized

I support racial profiling.
Re: TITANIC [Re: Nice Guy Eddie] #346051
11/27/06 01:18 AM
11/27/06 01:18 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Don Cardi, you fucking liked PEARL HARBOR?

Man, your license to be the patriotic defender of America has been revoked.

You have no idea how that movie pissed me off. Not just as a self-respectable movie buff, but as an American.

"Well boys, World War two has just begun!"

Jesus Christ. I remember Roger Ebert slammed the movie as this: ""Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle. Its centerpiece is 40 minutes of redundant special effects, surrounded by a love story of stunning banality. The film has been directed without grace, vision, or originality, and although you may walk out quoting lines of dialog, it will not be because you admire them.
"

I could see Jerry Bruckheimer hearing the pitch for PEARL HARBOR from Michael Bay. "Yes, its SAVING PRIVATE RYAN meets TITANIC! We'll make billions and Oscars!"

Really, that fucking piece of shit for a movie had an insane media exposure that, in pre-release, almost made it seem that attacking the movie was attacking "the vets". The same mentality I heard with SPR and FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS(though, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN was really good, but thats another story).

Thankfully, the public saw PEARL HARBOR, and it sank quickly afterwards. I remember an old WW2 war vet seeing it at the theater I worked for at the time. He came out all pissed and depressed.

"They took the war and made it a god damn cosmetics commercial of a joke!"

I laughed at the time upon hearing this. Then I saw the movie. Fuck, imagine you fight this war where your buddies get blown to bits, and to honor them, they get a 3-hour shitfest about Dickhead(Ben Affleck) and Pussy (Josh Harnett) fighting it out over a girl that doesn't deserve anyone's attraction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull