I hope that everything going on with your mom turns out ok.

This year we are going to my brother in-laws house. However my wife and I will be making stuffed mushrooms, and also a meat stuffing, to bring over.

I do miss cooking the turkey though. Usually when I cook a turkey I start off by taking butter, which is in a semi-frozen state, and stick pieces of it all around the turkey under the skin. Then I will do an olive oil rub all over the turkey. After that I sprinkle it with some salt and pepper. Next I take Honey, and spread it all over the turkey. Then I drape the turkey with strips of bacon, form a tin foil tent over it ( never letting the foil touch the turkey) and put it into the oven. I keep the foil tent over the turkey for half the total cooking time. The bacon acts like a self baster. Then halfway through the cooking time I will take the foil off, spread some more honey on it and continue to let it cook, manually basting it every so often.

Now how many people here, especially Italians, remember their mothers or grandmothers putting an apple in the turkey's rear berfore putting it in the oven? The apple is supposed to draw any poisons that may be in the turkey, out of the turkey, and into the apple iteslf. I don't know if this is just an old italian wives tale, or if it really works. But to stay on the safe side, I follow grandmas advice and stick the apple up the turkey's rear anyway. Anyone else hear of this or do this when cooking a turkey?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.