Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
He's got nowhere else to go. He was found & 'hauled back' on his brother's orders and was told 'not to be scared and that Michael knew he was tricked by Roth. He was definitely scared at first...but by the end, thought he had been forgiven. Plenty of 10yr olds alot sharper than Fredo.
... cool

Apple
I'm really to tired tonight to organize my thought too well, but I'll give it a shot...
Fredo was found in NY and brought back to the compound. He obviously was not allowed anywhere near the edge (if Kay wasnt, Fredo sure as hell wasnt either) even though Mike assured him that nothing would happen to him. Now Freddie's life consists of hanging out with his nephew. He has absolutly nothing else to live for. Anthony gets pulls out of the boat that fateful moment. Mike's bodyguard is the only one with him. I dont care how important freddie was, a bodyguard of Neri's postiton does not usually take the boss's brother fishing alone. Fredo, dumb as he is, knows something is up.
Fredo did know and "went with the flow" persay because, at that moment, what could he have done? Run screaming off the boat? Or prehaps he could have said, "ya know Al, I dont feel like going either" (which, again is asking a lot for a dim guy like him)and stepped back onto the dock.For what? As I have already said, he has aboslutely nothing to live for, and with all that time couped up on the compound, he's obivopusly hads some time to think about it, even if he did truely believe he was forgiven (which he did, until Tony was pulled from the boat)

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.