Originally Posted By: Fame
I enjoy True Lies for the cheap humor it has; I like, for example, when Jamie Lee Curtis uses the water in a flowerpot to wet her hair, tryin to be sexy, followed by the funny instructions she gets from the tape- that amuses me, the shallow person that I am.
So you're more open-minded than me because you are able to lower yourself to enjoy True Lies? I'm not saying you are lowering yourself, though; that's what you implied. I would argue that in order to engage with the film and its humour, you were already on its level. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm not above you because I don't find it funny, and you're not above me because you do.
Quote:
I also love the witty humor in Casablanca, if that is somewhat of an opposite type of humor in your book. I can watch Casablanca, one of my favorites, on a daily basis (and for a while I did) but I dont limit myself to movies only of that caliber. True Lies is a 'light snickers' type of film, which is another type of films to enjoy. I didnt expect it to be better, in fact, it couldve been a disaster, but I like it the way it is.
You're conjuring a notion of high films and low films, in quality terms, and that you as a viewer raise or lower yourself to do that. I don't view Cinema as a vertical hierarchy; I think of it as a terrace of houses, and I walk along it, in a horizontal fashion. I approach every film with the same goal: simply to enjoy it. That allows a lot of room for appreciation, I think, and also a lot of room for not. Any other adjective, such as "thought-provoking" or "mindless" is narrowing me chances of appreciation.

Quote:
I enjoy playing basketball and I enjoy playing chess. I wouldnt call basketball a high-quality game like chess is.
Oh, I would, in so far that a lot of chess players wouldn't be able to play basketball on any kind of competent level, and vice-versa. There is a specific knack to both.

It's why I have no hesitation in saying Dumb and Dumber is just as good a film as The Godfather.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?