Originally Posted By: Fame
Consider this paradox:
You said you despise "filmed stories/filmed plays" if I remember correctly. Taking a book or story and film it is dismissable in your eyes? Like you explained about the greatness of a joke(its not the joke, but how you tell it) - take it here: if you only care about HOW its being told, then why dismiss a filmed play? it could be told in a very special way. Yet you dismiss it for sticking to the plot with nothing new, and just a while back you said you dont care about plots? do u see the paradox here?
Indeed, some great movies are filmed plays IMO. Henry V, Death of a Salesman, Julius Caesar - top notch films in my book, because they portray the written pages in an outstanding manner. That way of portrayal is something new, regardless of it being loyal to the written play.
Very true. I've nothing against adaptations. But many I think miss the point of adapting; it's not merely a case of 'staying true' to the original narrative, but it adds nothing specifically cinematic. And I've called many films "filmed-theatre" which are not adaptations, they were written for the screen, and my criticism was that they were nevertheless neglecting the whole idea of being cinematic.

I enjoy stories, and I dislike some too, but I don't like stories for the sake of stories. Imagine somebody tells you a story out of nowhere, with no particular relevance. They tell you just for the sake of telling you a story. It's boring business. No, like I said, I enjoy stories, if they're good, but don't approach a film expecting to be told one. My primary point of engagement with a film is its aesthetic, its formal qualities. The first fact of Cinema is the image, the visual, and sounds. When I write of what a film is about, you'll note I never regurgitate plot synopsis, but rather explore the film's thematic exploration.

You could say an entire narrative comprises littler narratives. Such as a man going into his house. It's told in one shot, from one camera angle, and that is a self-contained, rather ordinary story. We then cut to a shot of the man inside the house. When Cinema was in its early stages, this cut was feared to confuse audiences; they wouldn't make the link. Nowadays, the opposite is true, sometimes to a narrowing effect, such as when Lynch cuts from one character to another in Lost Highway, people get confused and walk away from the film having dismissed it. What if those two shots of a man walking into a house and of a man inside of a house showed two different people inhabiting two different parallel universes? They're linked together with a simple, invisible transition, and brought together, and are assumed to be of the same cohesion. Cinema in this respect is an illusion; the camera is truth 24-times-per-second, and every cut's a lie.

Quote:
Why isnt the Matrix, LOTR, Terminator and Ten Commandments in your top 10 films for example? all great visuals methinks.
You have Taxi Driver in your top 10 - is it the visual take that stood out in this film, or is it the character study which hits you most?
I love Taxi Driver because it's an exploration of violence, of the social external impact on an individual mind, how that impact is internalised through repressed rage, and how it's externalised again through more violence. A cycle, evoked through a pattern of mundanely repetitive shots - the camera on the bonnet of the taxicab, riding through the New York night, to the sound of Bernard Herrmann's score. Why aren't The Matrix and The Terminator in my top ten? Because neither match the profound resonance of those films in my top ten. If I had a top ten, which I don't.

Quote:
If theres a great film about 2 guys talking in a cafe. Will you dismiss it solely based on it being poor in the visual department?
In the context of what I've been saying, if it's an exploration of a theme which interests me, which I find of interest, I'll give it merit. But cinematically speaking, if its aesthetic value is very ordinary, I'm not going to consider it essential viewing.

Quote:
The story/ the plot is the substance, the core. Every film begins with that. You work your way from there, building the film in the visual method you prefer.
So what about films without a story or plot? I think every film begins with the visual. Not all films need a story to exist, but all films needs some kind of visual to exist.

Quote:
Are you familiar with Da Vinci's painting - The Last Supper?
What would this painting be if it was not a portrayal of...well, the last supper?
If not a picture of The Last Supper, it would be a picure of a bunch of guys at a table, wining and dining. But it would still be beautiful to look at, if it was painted in the same way.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?