Fredo must have believed that he and Michael were truly reconciled for one reason: remember his reaction to Michael when Michael first revealed to Fredo that "I know it was you. You broke my heart. You broke my heart." Fredo took off light lightning. Even despite the fact that Fredo may not have been able to get back in the U.S. because of the uprising in Cuba, he chose to run away from Michael even as Michael called to him saying "You're still my brother." and "There's no way else out of here." Fredo was PETRIFIED of Michael at that moment. He was afraid for his own life.

Given his reaction previously to the fear that his brother may have wanted revenge on him, there is no doubt in my mind that Fredo was in complete ignorance of what was to happen to him. Not only that, but as easy as it was for Michael to kill his own blood, it was anathema for Vito--and most other Italian Dons of Vito's time. You might beat a member of your family nearly to death, but you'd never kill him/her. Of course, I am referring to close family: brothers, sisters, parents, etc. I think the murdering of one's own close family was NOT usual, but, in fact, highly unusual and very disgusting to most Italians--even the mob.

Also, how do we know for sure that Connie knew that Michael had Fredo killed? I doubt very much that she would have tolerated it had she really known that Michael could have done such a thing. Is there anything in GFIII which indicates CLEARLY and without question that Connie knew Michael had Fredo killed? If there is, then that is just one more reason why GFIII is so far off from GFI and GFII.

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."