Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
Long/Short/In-between Answers:

3. Rocco also appears to be possibly one of the guys eating Chinese food before Mike heads off to the Solozzo hit. Any more 'possibly Rocco' sightings?

This brings up another issue:
The late plaw and I used to go round and round on the issue of: was it really Rocco in the Chinese food scene? I said yes, he said no. I once had him and Vicki to my home, and I went frame-by-frame over the deleted scene in which Rocco gets the contract on Paulie. But plaw remained unconvinced. I simply thought the guy in the Chinese food scene looked a lot like Rocco.

But, though plaw didn't press this issue, I must raise a point on his side: Since Rocco had "made his bones on Paulie" only that day, or at most a couple of days before, what was he doing in the Councils of the Mighty, breaking rice with Sonny, Tom, Clemenza, Tessio and Michael? Doesn't seem logical. Possible answers:
1. Upon hearing of Vito's shooting, Sonny immediately suspected Paulie and possibly Clemenza because Paulie was Clemenza's guy. After confirming that Paulie was the rat, he let Clemenza back into the fold. But Sonny couldn't be sure that Paulie hadn't corrupted other members of Clemenza's regime The only other Clemenza guy he could be sure of was Rocco, because Rocco had made his bones by killing Paulie.
2. Clemenza brought Rocco with him because Rocco was his new protege, and having him sit with The Mighty was a way to advance his career (and, not incidentally, for Clemenza to reassert himself after being cleared of complicity in Vito's shooting).
3. It was another FFC filmic device: Though Rocco really didn't belong in that scene, FFC was signaling us that Rocco would rise in the organization.

Last edited by Turnbull; 11/09/06 02:43 PM.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.