Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
However, my nephew joined the military after flunking out of college. Fortunately, he finished his three years in 2002. The recruiters were merciless. The brochures and films show pictures of soldiers training in Hawaii, they promise all sorts of things, and they push, push, push. Now, I'm not saying that's not their job, but this was a confused kid who was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life. Needless to say, he found Fort Hood and Fort Benning to be quite a bit different than Hawaii. Also, he was promised skills that he could take with him when he left the army. You know where they put him? Armament repair (fixing tanks). THERE'S a skill that transitions well to civilian life.

And who were the folks that he went to basic with? The young guys were mostly like him, drifting and looking for a place to land. The older ones were mostly from small, depressed towns who had been downsized out of employement. Does that make up the entire military? Doubtful, but I think it makes up a lot.

The army also provides excellent opportunities for graduating or current college students as well, including paying off loans as well as signing bonuses and salary. It also gives them experience, and real-life credibility.

So your nephew was a college failure who went to the army as a last resort? Okay. I'm missing the problem here - either he ends up on the streets, perhaps living off of welfare and never earning a living wage, sucking off the system, or he pulls himself up by the bootstraps and makes something of himself.

So armament repair isn't a skill he could use? I didn't realize there wasn't a need for good auto mechanics, or the dozen-or-so other things he could do with such experience. Then again, judging by his previous academic inclinations, is it surprising he was "relegated" to armament repair rather than something like computer systems?

For kids who would otherwise end up as criminals or social despots, the army can give them a chance. I for one am tired of the shameless victimization of these kids who make a voluntary decision to sign up. Most of the time it isn't even these volunteers who are complaining - as is evident here. The army gives people an opportunity to make something of themselves, real life experience, and a way to serve their country.

Regards,
Double-J