Invocation of My Demon Brother
(1969/Anger)
Anger takes us on a psychadelic trip through the occult, touching on themes of death, drugs, and the supernatural. Mick Jagger does the score and the Stones make an appearance. Anger's use of rapid cross-cutting, superimposing several seperate shots, and just his editing in general makes this a masterpiece for its time.

Puce Moment
(1949/Anger)
More from the avant garde, some of Anger's early work. We watch as an old fashioned Hollywood starlet flips through her multitude of dresses, looks at herself in the mirror, perhaps hallucinates, and then takes her dogs for a walk. I read that due to the need to overexpose the film, Anger had his star move very slowly and then sped it up in post-production. This adds an eerie sort of quality to her movements, as evident in her rapidly swinging earrings. The highlight is the soundtrack, which consists of a Mick Jagger-like singer over an acoustic guitar, although this music was supposedly added some 15 years later, which accounts for the fact that it's very much 60's-sounding. Overall, interesting. Anger's body of work is very much worth exploring for those who haven't. Youtube has a lot of his stuff.

Last edited by MistaMista Tom Hagen; 10/30/06 03:59 AM.

I dream in widescreen.