Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
... a large part of his faithfulness was his desire to never be caught, either literally or figuratively, with his pants down.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Well put, Sicilian Babe wink . Michael's self-control -- we don't even see him show nervousness in the most dangerous situation -- is undoubted.

I was recently mulling over his seriousness and reserve vs. his display of feelings. My conclusion is a bit different from yours. I don't think the reason Michael was so faithful was largely motivated by his wanting to maintain self-control. I think the reason he had self-control was because he was faithful -- to his marriage vows, his children, his father, his business. When he cared about something, he took it seriously; and as a result, the controlled and protective aspect of his personality became more apparent.

I look at the way he is so tender with Anthony when he tucks him in, the way he caresses Kay's face when he sees Anthony's drawing, the way he covers Kay with his own body during the machine gun assault on his home, and the way he bristles at Senator Geary's insults to his family ("We're both part of the same hypocrisy, Senator; but never think it applies to my family.").

I like to think it's genuine. Plus, I need a good reason to justify why this villain is, paradoxically enough, also so attractive. wink