GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 411 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,442
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,899
Members10,349
Most Online992
04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 77 of 159 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 158 159
Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #340725
11/07/06 07:31 PM
11/07/06 07:31 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yankees want Clemens, Pettitte back?

Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte are free agents. The Yankees are fresh off another postseason disappointment.

Is a reunion in the works? According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees will inquire about both players.
Agents Randy and Alan Hendricks, who represent both players, tell the paper their cliens haven't decided whether they will continue playing in 2007, but if so, then they are open to all suitors.

The paper also reports that confidantes for Pettitte have suggested he would be willing to consider a return to the Bronx. Clemens, who retired in 2003, joined the Astros at the behest of his good friend Pettitte, after he signed there as a free agent.

Both had strong second halves last season, but Houston failed to reach the playoffs

Source: FOX Sports

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #340934
11/08/06 02:24 PM
11/08/06 02:24 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Wouldn't that be typical of the Yankees, signing two aging primadonnas??? They wanted to be back in Texas that badly, then let them stay there. No offense to my friend Gina if she's around, but the Dynamic Duo left the Yankees in the lurch as far as their starting pitching, and they really still haven't recovered. I think that while they were both amazing pitchers in their prime, they are past it now. Haven't we learned our lesson with Randy Johnson???

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #340945
11/08/06 03:37 PM
11/08/06 03:37 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I agree SB. Although, Clemens could help but Pettitte I think would be just another Kevin Brown/Jaret Wright. However, I don't see these 2 leaving Houston AT ALL. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemens retire (FINALLY), but I would if Pettitte followed him. But again, they'll either retire or stay in Houston.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #341109
11/09/06 01:04 AM
11/09/06 01:04 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Sheffield says he's blocked from talking to Boss

NEW YORK -- Gary Sheffield said he's being blocked by "middle men" from speaking with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner about his desire to stay in New York and will comply with the team's request to form a list of clubs he'd prefer to be traded to.

New York exercised Sheffield's $13 million option last weekend, preventing him from becoming a free agent. The Yankees acquired right fielder Bobby Abreu in July while Sheffield was injured and appear to be preparing to trade Sheffield before next season.

Talking with reporters at the opening of the Brooklyn Diner's Times Square location, Sheffield said that if he's traded, Alex Rodriguez would lose his only sounding board on the team. Sheffield also said Abreu wasn't as good a player as he was.

"My situation, honestly, the truth about it, I never was comfortable," Sheffield said. "I was always feeling a little insecure about where I fit here and where I belonged, or do they want me here? And I had to play on those terms, and I was being a man about it and going out and trying to do my job under the conditions."

Sheffield joined the Yankees before the 2004 season, personally negotiating a $39 million, three-year contract with Steinbrenner, his Tampa-area neighbor.

Steinbrenner has cut back on his public involvement with the team, and the 76-year-old owner fainted Oct. 29, the second time he collapsed in public in three years. Sheffield said he didn't speak with Steinbrenner "just because of his health."

"If it wasn't for his health, I'd have made that conversation happen, but my situation ain't worth that to me," Sheffield said, adding that "you've got middle men blocking him. ... They get in the way and their personal feelings get in the way."

Sheffield wouldn't identify the people he was referring to. Reached later, general manager Brian Cashman declined comment.

Sheffield, who turns 38 on Nov. 18, had 36 homers and 121 RBI in his first season with the Yankees and then had 34 homers and 123 RBI the following year. But he injured his wrist April 29 in a collision at first base with Toronto's Shea Hillenbrand, had surgery June 13 and didn't return until Sept. 22, when the Yankees shifted him to first base for the remainder of the season.

Sheffield doesn't have a no-trade clause and he doesn't understand why the Yankees appear to prefer the 32-year-old Abreu in right field.

"He's a good player, but like I say, you can draw it up any kind of way, he ain't me, and that's the bottom line," Sheffield said. "I understood them having to make this move for the remainder of the season but ... I always was told that you leave because somebody's better than you, and I don't think that's the case here."

Sheffield also said that dropping Rodriguez to sixth and then to eighth in the batting order messed with his head.

"Knowing him, yes it did," Sheffield said.

If Sheffield is dealt, he thinks A-Rod will lose the only teammate in the Yankees' clubhouse that he could bounce ideas off.

"He might as well get ready," Sheffield said. "There's nobody."

He defended Steinbrenner's initial decision to sign him, made without Cashman's participation.

"Everybody knows when they go out and make moves, they make moves based on who's hot at the time or who's the top free agent. Who's this or who's that? But at the same time, you look at all the moves they made and you look at the move they made with me, that George made, which ones panned out?" Sheffield said.

"I've produced ever since I got here. If it wasn't for me the first year, in 2004, we wouldn't have made the playoffs. I went out and put up big numbers against Boston for us to win that division. ... It wasn't some mystery man. It was myself," he said.

Sheffield expected the Yankees to exercise his option because he knew they didn't want him to sign with Boston or another rival.

"Everybody knows when I go to another team, I'm coming back looking for you. That's just the way it is," he said. "The Dodgers, that happened. The Marlins, it happened. When you let me go, I've got a chip on my shoulder, and I'm coming with it. That's how I play the game."

He wouldn't mind getting dealt to the New York Mets or Chicago White Sox.

"Obviously, we would like to go play somewhere where we're comfortable and people we're surrounded with that we know," he said. "Obviously, those couple places, I do know those guys. Hopefully, something will work out for the better."

Sheffield, a nine-time All-Star, wants to play three more seasons. But if he's traded to a last-place team, he said he would retire. He would consider becoming a full-time first baseman if the Yankees told him he would be there for at least two years.

In retrospect, he said he rushed back from the wrist injury. He caught underhand at first base because his wrist hurt when he tried to catch throws normally.

"Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried," he said. "We're talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that's never been done."

Sheffield was pleased his uncle, former Yankees and Mets star Dwight Gooden, is due to be released from prison Thursday. Gooden will have served about seven months for violating his probation by using cocaine.

His advice to Gooden was to "just stay away from the wrong crowd. I made that choice and he has to make the same choice."

Sheffield, stopping in New York en route to Tampa following a Las Vegas vacation, received a $25,000 check for his foundation during the ceremony. Former Mets closer John Franco also accepted a check for his own foundation as "Sopranos" star Lorraine Bracco looked on from the crowd.

Source: ESPN

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #341110
11/09/06 01:09 AM
11/09/06 01:09 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yanks ready to catch gyroball

Maybe it's the urban legend of his bizarre pitch -- the "gyroball" -- that defies both logic and physics. Or maybe it's that he's young, or Japanese, or a hard thrower, which makes the Yankees remember why they once coveted Randy Johnson.

There are plenty of reasons why Daisuke Matsuzaka has become the centerpiece of the Bombers' offseason plans, but the focus on the right-hander is so great, he's put a potential courtship of Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte on a back burner.

"This is the guy we want," one Yankees official said on Tuesday, referring to Matsuzaka. "I'm not saying we have to get him, but we'd like to."

The baseball world will have its answer on Wednesday, when, by 5 p.m. ET, clubs have to submit their blind bids for the negotiating rights to Matsuzaka and the gyroball, which is said to rotate like a football and move like a slider in slow motion.

The Yankees are believed to be ready to go as high as $20 million for the mere right to speak to Matsuzaka about a contract. It's an enormous posting fee, even by the Yankees' standards, but they're being driven by an unsubstantiated belief that the Rangers will be the dark horses in the blind bidding.

Owner Tom Hicks, they hear, is apparently convinced he needs just one young arm to take control of the West, and further believes his working relationship with agent Scott Boras, who represents Matsuzaka, can divert the pitcher away from the Bronx straight to the heart of Texas.

That scenario would explain why the Yankees appear determined not to be outbid. "At the end of the day, they're the only ones who'll go [to $20 million]," said one insider.

And if the Yankees are successful? Then don't hold your breath waiting for Clemens or Pettitte despite the nostalgic ties to both pitchers. For one, Mike Mussina is on the verge of signing a two-year deal worth $22 million. That's one less spot for the former Yankees hurlers.

Furthermore, the Bombers aren't sure Clemens is necessarily married to the idea of wearing pinstripes again; they're just as convinced he's headed back to Fenway Park if he decides to leave the Astros.

As for Pettitte, who recently said he's considering retirement, a Yankees higher-up said, "we love the guy, but it's hard to take a run at a pitcher who isn't 100 percent convinced he wants to play anymore."

There are other factors that would complicate Pettitte's return. Despite a strong second half of the 2006 season, the long-term durability of Pettitte's elbow, which has twice undergone surgical procedures, is a concern for the Yankees. So are his personal feelings about New York.

The club was under the impression Pettitte was pressured by his family to leave New York after the 2003 season, leading to a three-year commitment with the Astros. Whether Pettitte would face resistance at home about another tour with the Yankees remains unclear.

That question would become moot if Matsuzaka signs with the Yankees and Randy Johnson's recent back surgery is a success. "Then we're looking at four starters [including Chien-Ming Wang and Mussina]," said the official, suggesting the fifth spot may ultimately belong to Jaret Wright. The Yankees have until Nov. 12 to pick up Wright's $7 million option for 2007 (or buy him out for $4 million).

That move may go down to the wire, although industry peers say the Yankees' offseason machinery is running more smoothly than in past years and that the chain of command has been streamlined.

Or, as a rival GM succinctly put it: "[Brian] Cashman is calling the shots now."

That has become evident since Cashman successfully steered George Steinbrenner away from his initial impulse to fire Joe Torre following the Bombers' collapse in the American League Division Series.

Such a reversal would've been unheard of 20 years ago -- maybe even as recently as 2002, when the Yankees were booted out of the playoffs in the first round by the Angels. But Cashman saved Torre's job by convincing Steinbrenner that no one else could manage the number of All-Stars (and the emotional baggage) better than the man who's done it since 1996.

Torre may or may not have full protection throughout the 2007 season, after which his contract expires. But it's clear Cashman is already thinking ahead, having fired bench coach Lee Mazzilli and promoted Don Mattingly to that very position.

The fact that Mazzilli was dismissed underscored Cashman's influence, considering he moved against Torre's closest friend on the coaching staff. In this case, not even Torre could have saved Mazzilli.

Cashman's next crossroads will be deciding where to trade Gary Sheffield -- the Cubs and Phillies are among the front-runners -- and how to make life easier for Alex Rodriguez next season.

A Rodriguez trade has been all but ruled out by the front office; Cashman would still listen to any offer, but has in the meantime told Rodriguez's representatives he should consider himself a Yankee for the remainder of his contract.

"My goal is to win a championship, and Alex is still the best third baseman to get us there," the GM said recently.

Another pitcher wouldn't hurt, either. Fingers tightly crossed, Cashman and the Yankees are entering a blind auction for a Japanese pitcher who's never thrown an inning in the major leagues.

It's unfamiliar territory, which is why the Yankees will ultimately resort to their genetic coding: When in doubt, write a bigger check.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #341186
11/09/06 12:37 PM
11/09/06 12:37 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

1.) Resigning Clemens or Pettitte is retarded. Ever hear of Kevin Brown? Holy shit. I mean, I'd consider either if they had some skinny contracts, but I wouldn't bet my rotation on either. We've already got the geriatric ward out there with Randy Johnson.

2.) Matsuzaka will be a Yankee. The Yanks won't be outbid by anyone. Plus, why is Daisuke coming? Money and a championship. He may get some money from Texas, but they aren't a contender. The Yankees are a better fit.

3.) Sheffield should shut the fuck up and get the hell out. He got demoted because he wasn't swinging well. Matsui didn't seem to have any problems - get the fuck out. Thanks.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341304
11/09/06 05:21 PM
11/09/06 05:21 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: Double-J
1.) Resigning Clemens or Pettitte is retarded. Ever hear of Kevin Brown? Holy shit. I mean, I'd consider either if they had some skinny contracts, but I wouldn't bet my rotation on either. We've already got the geriatric ward out there with Randy Johnson.

Clemens looks like he still has some in the tank although if that transfers to the AL is yet to be determined. I think it'd be smart to get him for what he has shown in the past (especially in Houston) but you're right, I wouldn't overspend on him, especially if it'll only be for half a season!

2.) Matsuzaka will be a Yankee. The Yanks won't be outbid by anyone. Plus, why is Daisuke coming? Money and a championship. He may get some money from Texas, but they aren't a contender. The Yankees are a better fit.

I hope you're right. Plus, at least now Hideki will have someone to talk to

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #341320
11/09/06 06:51 PM
11/09/06 06:51 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Clemens looks like he still has some in the tank although if that transfers to the AL is yet to be determined. I think it'd be smart to get him for what he has shown in the past (especially in Houston) but you're right, I wouldn't overspend on him, especially if it'll only be for half a season!

Clemens may have some left in the tank, but I wouldn't pay for him unless our rotation, which would contain Wang, Mussina and Matsuzaka, was totally depleted. Maybe if Pavano can come back and pitch decent and Johnson recovers from his back surgery, we'll be alright. Otherwise, I'd still move Sheffield and A-Rod for two more marquee pitchers.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341325
11/09/06 07:26 PM
11/09/06 07:26 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I TOTALLY forgot about Pavano. Is he coming back next year (FINALLY) or what? The guy's pitched like 3 months at the most so far in 2 years for the Yankees!? Also, do you think the Yankees will buyout Jaret Wright for $4 million instead of picking up his option for $7 million? Finally, I've been hearing a lot about Matsuzaka, but I haven't heard ANYTHING about the Yanks going after Zito. I still think they should (even if they get Matsuzaka). As the Yankees have shown in recent years, they can never have too much pitching. The rotation I'd like to see next year is:

-Wang
-Matsuzaka
-Moose
-Zito
-Johnson
-Pavano as long relief or in case 1 of these guys (Unit?) goes down

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #341484
11/10/06 01:04 PM
11/10/06 01:04 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

They won't need Zito if they get Matsuzaka and Hughes is called up.

The rotation should be (as of now, assuming Matsuzaka is signed):

Wang
Mussina
Johnson
Matsuzaka
Hughes

with Pavano in long-relief.

And no, I think the Yankees will buy out Wright for $4 million rather than see him drain another $7 million out of the payroll.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341486
11/10/06 01:09 PM
11/10/06 01:09 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

You guys aren't worried about the mileage Matsuzaka has on his arm? You guys have read the same stories that I have (250 pitch, 17-inning game and then pitched again the next day) and the last time I heard someone being overworked like that, it was Kerry Wood and I've had front row seats to how he's turned out.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Don Sicilia] #341489
11/10/06 01:12 PM
11/10/06 01:12 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Worried? Sure. There's some potential there for problems. But the pitches he's throwing - 97 mph Fastball, changeup, and forkball - aren't that stressful on the ligaments. And his gyroball slider? It's designed not to induce stress on the elbow and wrist ligaments.

Matsuzaka is a risk, no doubt, but he's still young, and, considering that he'd be pitching considerably less in American than he would be in Japan, should be alright. Anybody can be a risk - you mentioned Kerry Wood - but if it pays off, then the Yanks have a bonifide ace on their hands. And if it doesn't? The Yanks still have those giant purse strings...

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341491
11/10/06 01:19 PM
11/10/06 01:19 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

I agree with you DJ, it's all about risk-reward with him. I was just focusing on the "risk" aspect since people tend to focus on the "reward" part.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Don Sicilia] #341496
11/10/06 01:33 PM
11/10/06 01:33 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Right, and I totally agree, I mean, it has to be a concern, but when you look at it - we have a 24 year old pitcher who throws a pitch nobody has seen before and has game experience. I think at this point, give me Matsuzaka over Jaret Wright or Carl Pavano. At least if Matsuzaka gets hurt, it will because his arm is tired, not because he got plastered and into a car accident and then didn't tell anybody and ended up with broken ribs and being out for the season when he was 2 weeks away from returning...ugh.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341510
11/10/06 02:27 PM
11/10/06 02:27 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Report: Red Sox may have top Matsuzaka bid
ESPN.com news services

The Boston Red Sox may have posted the top bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported, citing Major League Baseball sources.

There has been no official announcement, and the Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka's team in Japan, have until Tuesday to accept or reject the high bid.

But Olney is reporting that the Red Sox may have posted the top bid with a figure between $38 million and $45 million, according to Major League Baseball officials who are monitoring the bidding.

Matsuzaka, who pitched for Japan's World Baseball Classic champions, is considered among the top prospects available this offseason.

If the Lions accept the top bid -- and according to the rules of the process, the team making the high bid is not disclosed to the Japanese team -- the winning bidder has 30 days to reach an agreement with Matsuzaka. If a deal cannot be reached, he would return to the Lions for the 2007 season and become a free agent in the spring of 2008.

Noooooo!

(Holy shit...$30-45 million? Wow. I thought the Yanks alleged $25 million was alot. If Matsuzaka flops...wow.)

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341543
11/10/06 05:49 PM
11/10/06 05:49 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Tigers deal three pitchers to Yankees for Sheffield

Detroit has acquired Gary Sheffield from the New York Yankees for three right-handed pitching prospects, the Tigers announced Friday.

In return for Sheffield, the Tigers sent Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett to New York. Detroit agreed to a two-year contract extension with Sheffield through the 2009 season.

The moves comes days after Sheffield blasted Yankees management and said Bobby Abreu, the player who took Sheffield's place in New York's outfield, isn't as good a player as he is. The Yankees exercised their $13 million option on Sheffield last weekend, preventing him from becoming a free agent, and asked him for a list of teams to which he'd like a trade.

"Everybody knows when I go to another team, I'm coming back looking for you. That's just the way it is," he said earlier this week. "When you let me go, I've got a chip on my shoulder, and I'm coming with it. That's how I play the game."

He'll have the chance to prove it again by moving across the AL to the Tigers, who stunned the Yankees in the playoffs on the way to the World Series.

Sheffield, a 19-year veteran and nine-time All-Star who has played for Milwaukee, San Diego, Florida, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Braves and Yankees, has a .297 career batting average, 455 home runs and 1,501 RBI in 2,229 games. He's sixth among active players in RBI and seventh in home runs.

"We have been able to add one of the biggest bats in baseball," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who managed Sheffield in Florida. "I have a great relationship with Gary Sheffield and I have the utmost respect for him. I'm happy to add a bat of this magnitude and that he'll be a Tiger."

Sanchez, 23, was a combined 10-6 with a 2.53 ERA and 129 strikeouts in 123 innings with Triple-A Toledo and Double-A Erie this year. Whelan, 22, was 4-1 with a 2.67 ERA and 27 saves for Class A Lakeland. Claggett, 22, was 7-2 with an 0.91 ERA and 14 saves for Class A West Michigan.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341544
11/10/06 05:52 PM
11/10/06 05:52 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

(Holy shit...$30-45 million? Wow. I thought the Yanks alleged $25 million was alot. If Matsuzaka flops...wow.)

I agree, $30-45 million just as a bid! WOW, looks like someone's overspending

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #341777
11/11/06 12:25 AM
11/11/06 12:25 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Jeter and Cano both won their first Silver Slugger awards today so congrats to them!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #341803
11/11/06 06:26 AM
11/11/06 06:26 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Great move by Cashman. It sounds like we've now got three solid pitching prospects who can be developed and we've unloaded Sheff's $13 million contract. The first time I've said in awhile that the Yanks have done something pseudo-intelligent.

Quote:
"Everybody knows when I go to another team, I'm coming back looking for you. That's just the way it is," he said earlier this week. "When you let me go, I've got a chip on my shoulder, and I'm coming with it. That's how I play the game."

Haha, no problem. Are you sure the chips aren't in your wrist, or shoulder? Besides, that will be great. We know how lax your fielding skills are. Damaged goods? Shut the fuck up and sit down.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341813
11/11/06 07:38 AM
11/11/06 07:38 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
This is a good move for the Yanks. Roster spot cleared up of an aged has-been, and of $13 million.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341844
11/11/06 10:54 AM
11/11/06 10:54 AM
Detroit
ap_capone48101 Offline
Arsenal for the Double
ap_capone48101  Offline
Arsenal for the Double
Capo
Detroit
Great move by Cashman. It sounds like we've now got three solid pitching prospects who can be developed and we've unloaded Sheff's $13 million contract. The first time I've said in awhile that the Yanks have done something pseudo-intelligent.

They might turn out good, but as of now it was a steal by the Tiger's. Sanchez might have a bright upside but he has had some arm problem's and the other two haven't pitched above AA ball. But you never know untill the season start's.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: ap_capone48101] #341850
11/11/06 11:44 AM
11/11/06 11:44 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: ap_capone48101
They might turn out good, but as of now it was a steal by the Tiger's.

How so?

Three pitching prospects for one aged, mediocre fielding, injury prone prima donna?

Sheffield has a great bat, no doubt, but I don't think he'll last long enough to be worthwhile.

The Yanks needed pitching prospects - they got them. They also unloaded salary. It's better than the Yanks getting nothing for Sheffield if he walks as a free agent.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Double-J] #341854
11/11/06 12:42 PM
11/11/06 12:42 PM
Detroit
ap_capone48101 Offline
Arsenal for the Double
ap_capone48101  Offline
Arsenal for the Double
Capo
Detroit
True, but we gave away two guys that never played above AA ball and Humberto was our like 7th best prospect in our farm league. But like I said, I wont judge until the season is over.

But look's like he will just DH here so that might make a huge difference on how he preforms.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: ap_capone48101] #341994
11/12/06 12:16 AM
11/12/06 12:16 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Detroit was a fluke this year. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs next year (like Chicago, who happened to miss the playoffs this past season)

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: ap_capone48101] #342038
11/12/06 01:38 AM
11/12/06 01:38 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Those pitching prospects weren't acquired to develop. They're going to be chips to deal next July at the trade deadline.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #342043
11/12/06 01:45 AM
11/12/06 01:45 AM
Detroit
ap_capone48101 Offline
Arsenal for the Double
ap_capone48101  Offline
Arsenal for the Double
Capo
Detroit
Detroit was a fluke this year. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs next year (like Chicago, who happened to miss the playoffs this past season)
I'll believe that when I see it. So we bring everyone back and add a guy that is a career 30/100 and we wont make the playoff's? The twins are going to be hurting, so it will be a two team race.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: ap_capone48101] #342050
11/12/06 01:54 AM
11/12/06 01:54 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
My money's on the Tigers to win the Cenral.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: ap_capone48101] #342060
11/12/06 02:51 AM
11/12/06 02:51 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: ap_capone48101
I'll believe that when I see it. So we bring everyone back and add a guy that is a career 30/100 and we wont make the playoff's? The twins are going to be hurting, so it will be a two team race.

I think Detroit will have a good year next year and will make a run for the playoffs but I don't see them getting in, nor do I see them having a better year next year than they did this year. Sure they added a big bat in Gary Sheffield, but "I'll believe it when I see it"

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: klydon1] #342061
11/12/06 02:52 AM
11/12/06 02:52 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: klydon1
My money's on the Tigers to win the Cenral.

That's what a lot of people said about Chicago too this past season after they actually won the World Series. And again, they didn't even make the playoffs. My AL playoff teams for next year are the Yankees, Red Sox, A's and White Sox

Re: How bout them Yankees!? [Re: Irishman12] #342093
11/12/06 09:42 AM
11/12/06 09:42 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Umm...I don't think so. They're a very good team with good coaching that did catch some breaks, but their pitching is pretty good...I wouldn't call them a "fluke," that's like saying the Royals make the playoffs, that would be a fluke.

Page 77 of 159 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 158 159