Certainly I support a certain degree of assimilation, which is why I disagree with the US's relatively recent trend of bilingual forms and such, and why I supported legislation that would have forced all such things to be in English. While we are a multicultural nation, it doesn't mean that people shouldn't have to adapt as our forefathers did when they came here. Cultural identity can be preserved, but I think it is wrong when there are entire sections of states (Florida, for example) where no one speaks any English, and if you don't speak Spanish, you're toast. Of course, since Florida originally belonged to Spain, its kind of a weak argument, but nonetheless I think that there should be some cultural assimilation by non-native citizens (or immigrants) to adapt to the American way of life, beginning with English.

However, I disagree with limiting the religious expression. While I wholeheartedly hate the radical Islam that spreads terror, the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people who have come to the West to worship in freedom, and the UK should respect that right.

In a related story, a British Airways employee was suspended for wearing a crucifix necklace, challenging the ruling since employees of other faiths (Sikhs and Muslims) are allowed to wear their religious articles, yet are not reprimanded.