Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:

This topic raises another question: how exactley did Vito "transfer" his political contacts (his "nickels and dimes) to Micheal? It's not like transferring property, or even regimes. Did they just invite all the senators, judges and politicians round for dinner and casually announce that, in the future, Micheal would be the one to go to for "favours"?
It' called "schmoozing." That is why it took so many years to have Michael earn the respect and trust of Vito's political contacts. Michael needed Vito to act has his liason with the politicians. These people had dealt with and trusted Vito for many years, so therefore it was crucial that Vito be around to bring Mike into the inner cirlce of his political contacts. Michael could not just walk in and say " ok, I've taken over my father's business, so now you guys are in my pocket and will have to deal with me." Michael had to slowly show these people that he was as capable as his father and could be as trustworthy as his father. It was a long and slow process.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.