Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
...but Puzo knew better -- he knew he'd never be able to come close to the original...
That's odd because Puzo is mostly noted as saying that he was never all that proud of The Godfather (as a book). He never liked the fact that he had to stoop to such levels of sex and violance just to sell books. It seemed as though Puzo knew he could match the book with a sequel, as we all know that he would have done much better then Winegardner.

But, anyway, back on topic, The Godfather Returns, reminds me a little of The Godfather Part III. I thought that the book was well written, it just didn't compare or fit with its past.

If, instead of copying Puzo's characters, Winegardner wrote this book and just replaced the names, I think most on this forum would like it as a classic Mob book. The only problem is, he wouldn't be very original and bla bla bla...

The point I'm trying to make is, everytime I would see the name Michael talking to Kay about "wood" (those who read the book know what I'm talking about, in reference to their plane trip to Lake Tahoe), I kringed. But, sometimes I would just replace the name inside my head and the book wouldn't be half bad. Its the fact that I knew that he was ruining the legacy of the Corleones that made me hurt inside.

I often found myself opening the back cover and looking at his picture, above his biography, swearing at it, as if he would hear me and make the pain go away.

Yes, their were times, I found it hard to read. But, just like how I bought the single disc re-release of The Godfather even though I already have the whole collection, safe and in good condition on my shelf, I had to read the book, for I saw it as a sence of duty that comes with being a Godfather fanatic.

Talk about crazy...

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci