The problem isn't that anyone has a problem with Fredo being Bi but that wasn't how Puzo origionally wrote the character. Fredo still lives with his parents because he's devoted to them and doesn't want to leave home also he's guilable and believes that Paulie really is sick so he doesn't mind getting the car for Don Corleone because he just doesn't realize that Paulie is conspiring against them. I think because of Fredo's stupidity and weakness was why he was a crutch to Vito but Fredo had a good heart and always meant well which made him a tragic figure. It can be said that Fredo was weak and stupid but he wasn't Bi and neither Puzo or Coopola made him that way. The problem with the book is the author gets all of the characters wrong. I mean we are supposed to believe that Micheal is a weak Don and he hates Fontaine? Are we supposed to believe that Fontaine is a drugged up loser or that Hagen wants a shot at being Govener? That kay is a nypho and Fredo is Bi and also that Micheal is cold and hs no more heart what so ever? This is all BS created by the author who I have a hard time believing that he's even read the book or watched the movies as he does not understand the things in The Godfather universe that are written in stone.

Pippi

MICHAEL

I've always taken care of you FREDO.

FREDO

Taken care of me. You're my kid brother and you take care of me. Did you ever think about that -- did you ever once think about that. Send FREDO off to do this -- send FREDO off to do that! Let FREDO to take care of some Mickey Mouse night club somewhere! Send FREDO to pick somebody up at the airport! I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over!

MICHAEL

That's the way Pop wanted it.

FREDO

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things I'm smart -- not like everyone says -- not dumb, smart and I want respect!

The Godfather Part II