Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I cannot seem to get into this book! I stopped about halfway through and have no picked it up since my last post in this thread! B-O-R-I-N-G!!

Not for nothing, but from what I read so far, this author is clueless as to what the Godfather fans would have really liked! So far, there are some decent parts, but then he gets into some writing that is meaningless, and just seems to have been written to take up some space in the book! Yeah, I know, I shouldn't pass judgement until I finish the book, but so far it sucks! Several of us from these boards could have written a much better story than this guy did! Hey, if they ever make this book into a movie, then Jimmy Whispers Returns to Mulberry Street stands a good chance of winning an academy award!

Don Cardi

DC - I am in the same boat. I am plowing through this (still on 2nd read), but I just cannot get with GFR. I want to, I am trying, I keep thinking that maybe I skipped something that would make it happen for me, but I cannot 'connect'.

My initial concerns were on principal alone - follow up authors seldom if ever rearrange the original work. Even in the world of finance, every one knows that you can play with the interest, but you never fiddle with the principle.

On my second pass, I think that Winegardner is 'trying' to spin a tale of interest (I did like the Tessio's death scene and Cuba connection), but I cannot get with this. You know - this really reminds me of some parts of GF3 - a forced effort to fill in the gaps and bring some closure.

I am really trying to be fair and objective. However my habit is that I only need one bite of a hamburger to know that I am eating beef. Our expectations were raised for a great meal, but I am left asking 'Where is the beef?"

"People who are not serious, should not be taken seriously"