I used to work for a huge lawfirm, headquartered in Cleveland but with offices worldwide, in which the managing partner was on the ND Board of Directors. The attorney put tremendous pressure on the Athletic Dept (he is a huge alumni donator) to fire Willingham. I'm not insinuating that it's b/c Ty Willingham is black. But he was forced out b/c this attorney convinced the rest of the board of directors that Willingham was not "projecting the image" that ND wanted.

And I agree about the premature way in which Weis was elevated to folk hero after 1 season. Yes, he did a very good job last year. But Willingham was doing well enough too. It's not like Weis took the team from 1 win to an 11-1 season. I'll never understand why they gave Weis that huge contract extension, esp. for all those years.

J Buffer - thank you. If you're a huge Michigan fan, then you have to be feeling pretty good today. I have to say that I cannot root for either team in the ND-UM game each year because I do not like ND and, as an OSU fan, the prospect of rooting for Michigan sickens me.