Quote:
Originally posted by Ice:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by goombah:
[b]Using your argument is exactly why ND's 4 point win over Georgia Tech hardly qualifies them for the #1 position. Your vote is with your heart, not your head.

GOOMBAH

football is a very arbitrary game of course. stomach virus here, pulled nut sack here, your team is fucked. anyone can suffer a career ending injury at any time. not even the almighty knows whos gonna win every game.... i just think nd would beat a hawkless buckeyes.

im not a domer at all but i think u are having homer simpson syndrome right now with your team (osu), being they are this yr's favorite. [/b]
I have no idea what the hell you mean by Homer Simpson syndrome. I never felt that that Buckeyes should have been #1 going into the season. I'm of the opinion that the #1 team to lead off the season should be the defending champ. Going one step further, what is the point of having rankings/polls if the bowl participants are based on the BCS rankings? Why not have all teams unranked until the BCS starts its numbers in October?

That said, since Ohio State was ranked first at the season's beginning, they have done nothing in the first two weeks to warrant dropping from there. I'll be the first to admit that I don't think they will go undefeated as I already stated in this thread earlier.

As far as ND beating OSU just because, as you stated, AJ Hawk is gone...well, you're entitled to that opinion. Hawk was an animal last year, but OSU kicked the hell out ND on both sides of the ball. No question that the defense centered around him. But IMO Quinn does not bring the same athleticism and intanglibles that Troy Smith possesses.

No, I don't think it would be fair if ND was out of the championship game if their only loss was to Michigan. What IS unfair is that if 2 teams have one loss, the factor having the most bearing on their bowl bid seems to be WHEN the game was lost. I think it's a load of crap when a team loses in September and is ok for the BCS title game but another team goes undefeated until its LAST game and is knocked out.