OK, here's how ESPN does it:

They don't.

The game is based on determining a first place finisher in each of the three categories for each of the monthly segments.

There is no "overall" winner for each month.

If you go to our group's homepage, the default ESPN uses in listing our order is "Average".

If you click on "Home Runs" it will re-sort us into that order; Same thing if you click on "RBIs".

So unless you're gonna say that if three different people win each of the three categories then the winner for the month is the leader in Batting Average, we don't have a way pf deciding who wins in the event that that happens.

May I suggest a 4-3-2-1 system?

Then, all we need is a tiebreaker.

IMO, RBI's are, to a great degree, a matter of luck - they're largely a function of opportunities, unlike home runs or batting average, which are categories that are more indicitive of a player's individual skill.

That's why you often get a much greater swing in a player's RBI totals from year to year than you do in their home run totals and batting average.

So, if you believe that to be a valid asumption, it takes more skill to finish first in the Home Run or Batting Average category.

So I would pick the leader in one of those categories as the tiebreaker.

Or, we could try and work out some kind of formula which weighs the margin of victory in the various catgories.

In a case like this:
Code:
                    AVG.      HR   RBI
Player A       35/112, .313    4    18
Player B       33/110, .300    5    22
Player C       31-112, .286    9    20
Each player won one category, but Player C's margin of victory in the category he won was much greater than the margins of victory of the other two.

But if the tiebreaker is Batting Average, Player A wins.

Or, we could work out a system where each category is valued differently, based on the skill required to win the category (altho I'm not sure how I would go about doing that).

The only other "problem" is - if you regard it as a problem - is that using a 4-3-2-1 system as the tiebreaker in the event that no one wins at least two of the categories could lead to a situation in which someone does win two out of three categories, but has fewer "4-3-2-1- Points" than someone else.

"Difficult....not impossible"