You know, this situation is a bit similar to fantasy football.

If you have LaDanian Tomlinson and the Denver Defense but in a particular week, San Diego is playing Denver, most people believe that you play LDT or Denver, but not both. I tend to agree with this line of reasoning but in some cases, I may go against it.

What does this all have to do with baseball?

I may be wrong here but it appears JL is placing more importance to the Yahoo game and is making his picks in the salary cap game that won't hurt his Yahoo team. If he has a bunch of Yahoo players hitting against Schilling, he won't pick Schilling or conversely, he loves his pitchers on his Yahoo team and will pick them in the Salary Cap game to "double" up. It's almost psychological.

People can play any strategy they want and JL's is one strategy in dealing with both games. My particular strategy is to look at my pitchers in the Yahoo game and NOT pick them in the salary cap game.

In any case, game theory dictates that players make choices to maximize their "returns", however they define it. Looking at it this way, if JL feels that winning the Yahoo game is more important, then his choices in the salary cap game make sense.

PL is obviously looking at things differently. He wants to win both games (equally?) and is making choices in both games independently.

I tend to agree more with PL that the games (and the choices I make) are mostly independent.

Sorry for the economics lecture!