Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
does this mean y'all will change the score yourselves, for those of us who had StL? And if so, will you have to remember that the entire season?
Just for future reference, GG.....

ESPN usually displays no scores at all from about 3:00 AM until about 5:30, when they come out with the "official scores".

There have been many, many occasions when the score(s) you may have seen at 1:30 or 2:00 AM were different than the official scores later.

There has never been, at least to the best of my knowledge since we've all been playing, a case in which there was an incorrect scoring decision that was not corrected during that two hour interval in the morning, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

There have been one or two cases in the past when ESPN screwed up (most notably in 2004 when they weren't prepared for leap year and decided not to count the basketball scores for February 29th), and it has always been my position that just because ESPN screws up and makes an incorrect scoring decision, that we are under no obligation to follow that decision ourselves.

In this case, had ESPN not corrected St. Louis's pitching score to reflect the fact that the runs were seemingly earned, I first would have made 1000% sure that the runs were, in fact, earned, by checking other sources.

If it turned out that the runs were earned, and ESPN was not correcting the mistake, then "Yes"; I would have argued that we should manually correct the scores ourselves to reflect six fewer points for the St. Louis-takers, and simply remembered to deduct them at the end of the game.

I'm sure if those six points made a difference in the final scores, the people who didn't have St. Louis yesterday would have been sure to remember to deduct them, so remembering wouldn't have been a problem.

Bottom line:

For my money, the integrity of the game and the scores is of paramount importance.

If ESPN fails to correct a mistake that we are aware of, we are under no obligation to go along with that mistake if we are aware of it and can correct it.

Had that happened in this case, though, you personally would've been operating with the handicap of being the organizer of your league and then trying to alter the "official" scoring only nine days after the game started.

That would have been mitigated, I guess, by the fact that presumably you had St. Louis in your league at school as well, so in this particular case making the correct decision would have cost you points, and everyone would be able to see that you were not simply acting out of your own self interest (assuming that you did deduct the points from yourself).

Imagine if it had been the other way around and you were in the position of having to try and deduct points from someone else in your league and having to explain all this crap.

"Difficult....not impossible"