Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:
When I saw some of the box scores tonight, I expected a big day for PL. But PL is still leaving his starting pitchers on the bench.
I do't need "big" days.

I need days where I reduce my games in hand by one, while gaining 10-20 points or so.

Like yesterday.

And, as far as yesterday goes....

Capuano was 7-2, 3.15 at home and 3-6, 4.50 on the road.

I saw no need to use him against Smoltz since he didn't figure to pick up the win.

I was gonna use Saunders - sorry I didn't - but a rookie, first time ever in Yankee Stadium....I chickened out.

If Saunders continues to pitch well, he has six other starts coming up which are much better spots for him than last night was.

Right now I have 8 starters on my roster, and after reviewing their schedules and probable starts, I have more than enough to get me to 162 without pitching them on the road against good teams in hitters parks.

I have 42 starts left, I think, and I like the matchup in every one of the ones I plan to use.

Of the 42 starts I need, I figure that 29 will be at home and 13 on the road, and most will be against teams with losing records - 6 vs. Tampa Bay, 4 vs. Baltimore, 4 vs. Cleveland, 3 each vs. Washington, Florida, and Kansas City, and assorted other ones and twos....

And if any of the SPs I plan to use miss a start I plan to use them in, or get bumped off their rotation or something, all of these SPs have more starts between them that, while not as attractive as the 42 I'm counting on, I can use them in other games.

And none of those figures include Blanton, who I just picked up and didn't even look at his upcoming starts - I just wanted him for tomorrow (gotta like him a lot at home vs. Tampa Bay).

But if I keep him, that gives me even more flexibility with the matchups.

All in all, things are going a bit better than I had expected, and I like my position as far as passing JG goes.

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
Dude, after all this time, how many times do we gotta tell you? It's NOT about the raw points accumulated up until now... it's all about the POTENTIAL points that MAY (or may NOT) come along during the next 8 weeks!

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that you have finally come to the realization that it's NOT about how many points you have today, but how many you have at the end of the season.

I would've thought that was obvious all along.

Unfortunately, you're still harboring under the illusion that these "potential points" may not come my way.

Yet you still refuse to answer my question:

If I trailed by 500 points and had 19 starts in hand, obviously that wouldn't be worth much and I'd fully expect to lose.

But if I trailed by only 100 points with 19 starts in hand, then I believe I'd be in better position than you are, and I'd expect to win.

So the question (yet again):

Where do you, JG, draw the line?

Where is your comfort level, lead-wise, given my 19 extra starts?

"Difficult....not impossible"