Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
I know there are circumstances in which the official scorer can award a win to a pitcher other than the pitcher that the "formula" would call for if that pitcher pitches ineffectively, though.

But I don't believe there are any exceptions for awarding a loss.
Yeah, here:

Quote:
(4) The winning relief pitcher shall be the one who is the pitcher of record when his team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game. EXCEPTION: Do not credit a victory to a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when a succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain the lead. In such cases, credit the succeeding relief pitcher with the victory.
I think the same should hold true for Losses, in certain circumstances like this when the SP pitched only 5 pitches before getting HURT. He didn't even allow the run to score, the reliever AFTER him did. I still think the most ineffective pitcher should get the Loss in cases like this (i.e., Romero, who gave up 6 ERs while recording only 1 out, while the Angels were still in the game only one run behind)

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations